Author Topic: Weekend workshop output  (Read 3321 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Weekend workshop output
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:44:27 PM »
Taking a break from raking leaves, installing windows and powder horns and decided to fool around with some smaller horn pieces and wood.  First is a small flat horn with is only 4 inches along the curve and that includes the stopper while the end is barely 3/4 in. thick and 2 in. long. The base plug is walnut and the stopper is carved cherry after treating  with vinegaroon. 

The next group consist of 3 various sized powder measures from similar 'root beer' colored horn pieces I've had laying around from the years.  Nothing too fancy, just practical and useful items.

The last pic is a combination vent pick and pan brush using blonde horse hair.  The wood from a couple small pieces of desert ironwood that I hate to get rid of useable scrap.

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Weekend workshop output
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:17:31 PM »
 Nice work Gary. Did I miss something, is that a metal band around the base of that horn? I like the design.

Tim C.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:45:04 PM »
No Tim, there isn't any metal on the horn.  I think what you see is the walnut & beeswax as the horn is basically translucent.  Also despite the small size this will hold 300 grains.  Enough for alot of priming, use a day horn, or use it as a holder for percussion caps. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:04:26 PM »
 Kool, Thanks, I see it now.

Tim C.

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »
Gary, nice work, that's an awful busy weekend in the shop! looks great!

eseabee1

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 01:03:37 AM »
Great work as always Gary i have taken a break from the horns for awhile made a wampum belt and starting some quill work soon

seesbirds

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 05:50:57 AM »
Gary,

Very clever work and really nice turning.  I have problems working with pieces that small on the lathe; and I almost never have end pieces of horn long enough to make much of anything out of.   I admire the ingenuity.

regards,

Mark

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:28:49 AM »
Yes guys it was a long weekend and Mark, with the exception of the pick and brush, the measures were not turned.  They were just small horns that I've had for a number of years and just cut them short to make into measures.  The ends were hand shaped with files.  On two of them I heated and put in some clamps overnight to make them more oval shape and facilitate pouring.  I'm always trying to keep in mind what they are pouring into.  For instance, if the measure is pouring into a 32 cal barrel, then the shape of the measure should try to be close to that dimension.  Same thing if its a large bore gun.  Sometimes I get lucky, some times I miss (or what I call a design change,  ;D)
Gary