General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Weekend workshop output

(1/2) > >>

G. Elsenbeck:
Taking a break from raking leaves, installing windows and powder horns and decided to fool around with some smaller horn pieces and wood.  First is a small flat horn with is only 4 inches along the curve and that includes the stopper while the end is barely 3/4 in. thick and 2 in. long. The base plug is walnut and the stopper is carved cherry after treating  with vinegaroon. 

The next group consist of 3 various sized powder measures from similar 'root beer' colored horn pieces I've had laying around from the years.  Nothing too fancy, just practical and useful items.

The last pic is a combination vent pick and pan brush using blonde horse hair.  The wood from a couple small pieces of desert ironwood that I hate to get rid of useable scrap.

Tim Crosby:
 Nice work Gary. Did I miss something, is that a metal band around the base of that horn? I like the design.

Tim C.

G. Elsenbeck:
No Tim, there isn't any metal on the horn.  I think what you see is the walnut & beeswax as the horn is basically translucent.  Also despite the small size this will hold 300 grains.  Enough for alot of priming, use a day horn, or use it as a holder for percussion caps. 
Gary

Tim Crosby:
 Kool, Thanks, I see it now.

Tim C.

Beaverman:
Gary, nice work, that's an awful busy weekend in the shop! looks great!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version