Author Topic: Banded horn  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Banded horn
« on: October 12, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »
 This one is about 15" tip to tip around the outside curve. The base is Cherry colored with oven cleaner, it is about 2 1/4", a fairly slender horn. The 4 turned rings were heated and fit tight but secured with two small steel pins each. The ring at the neck is slightly larger in diameter to hold the strap better.  The stopper is also Cherry. The color on this one got away from me a little.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:00:28 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Banded horn
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:34:43 PM »
Tim,  That's a great ;ooking horn.  They just keep getting better and better from your shop.  What do you mean, "The color on this one got away from me a little"?  I like it.  How did you color it.
DMR

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »
Nice job, I like the color too!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »
Tim, awesome color on this one.   Either a nice mahogany or cordovan accoarding to my monitor.  Great banded horn Tim.  I think it looks great.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 10:48:55 PM »
Tim, have you thought of intentionally 'losing' one of the bands to reveal the difference in color as a means to replicate an old, used powder horn of yesterday?  Don't laugh (or weep?) because there are buyers out there that will bite. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

eseabee1

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:59:56 AM »
Wow :o really like one all you do are great but something about this horn amkes me say I want it

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 04:16:44 AM »
this is a great horn. I was able to look at in person this past weekend at the log cabin fair. I really liked the color alot.
Good Job Tim!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
Tim,  That's a great ;ooking horn.  They just keep getting better and better from your shop.  What do you mean, "The color on this one got away from me a little"?  I like it.  How did you color it.
DMR

First of all, Thanks for all the positive comments.

The bath was yellow clothing dye, a pack to a gallon of water or so, brought to a boil. The horn went in for a few minuets, took it out, it looked to yellow so I added a little orange, didn't like that either, to bright, looked like the great pumpkin, so I decided to see if I could darken it a little. Put some brown in with the other two and this is what I got.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:24:05 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »
Tim, have you thought of intentionally 'losing' one of the bands to reveal the difference in color as a means to replicate an old, used powder horn of yesterday?  Don't laugh (or weep?) because there are buyers out there that will bite. 
Gary

Yes, Coming soon to your ALR. They are just about ready to go.

Tim C.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 03:34:53 AM »
Tim,
   I think you might have started a fad with the color. I really like it. Awesome horn.

Short Arm

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 10:51:54 PM »
Sir,Very nice horn