Author Topic: Got my old squirrel gun back  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
Got my old squirrel gun back
« on: March 09, 2022, 07:02:38 PM »
 Didnt know if this was appropriate for "Gun Building" or "Contemporary Gun Colloecting" so posted here.

I sold this gun I built for myself about 5 years ago to an old man who just kept pestering me for it at an event. It was the second gun I had built. I'd only had it finished about 6 months, had taken it to Dixon's, and killed 6 or 8 squirrels on a few hunts that September. I didnt want to sell it but he offered a good price and I took it. Was glad I did a few weeks later when I became in need of some cash. But I've always wanted it back. I heard he passed a year or so ago and that my gun had neen put away and never used. So I finally got ahead enough to go buy her back from his widow. I got robbed at an event in October and lost my bags, my main horn, and all my small caliber accoutrements, but I still have a few hundred 30 cal balls I made for it when I completed the gun. So hopefully get some powder and stuff at the Spring Shoot and be ready for squirrel hunting in August. Well anyways, got it back this morning and have been sitting on the couch petting it and I'm right in the middle of moving. Hoped that if I took a few pictures and shared with someone I could make myself put her away and get busy, lol.

Btw, .30 cal Rayl, straight 42"
Chambers Late Ketland
Curly Ash
Brian Noland forged guard
Other mounts antler and horn (except brass jag and toe plate)
Shop made patent breech
Custom sights
And pictures dont do her justice

Offline Keith Zimmerman

Re: Got my old squirrel gun back
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 07:07:19 PM »
Glad u got it back.  Ive sold a couple custom recurves I wish I had back.  Dont let it go.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 08:51:05 AM »
Very Creative. Glad you got it back.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 06:51:15 PM »
 :o :o... Great folk art look to your rifle, and proper Smoky Mountain look,.. !! .. Brian is a great bladesmith but I got to compliment that trigger-guard,.. !!! ...  Nice rifle,.. !!!... CCF

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 01:24:20 AM »
Congratulations on being reunited with your pet squirrel rifle.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 05:31:45 PM »
  Interesting rifle you made. Similar to the rifles a late friend of mine used to make.  Glad you got your rifle back..

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 07:41:00 AM »
Cades Cove, I've never met Brian, just have him on social media and saw some stuff he was making. Can't remember why, but I asked him if he would make a guard and he got one to me in short order.

Old Traveler, I am, too. And yes, it's different. Kind of what I was going for. I was looking at alot of guns at the time that were "folky". From Lehighs to Soddys and also some European guns with engraved bone inlays. This is what came out, lol. The antler ramrod pipes were tricky. I've built 3 guns since, I think, and they've all been to someone elses specs or a copy. I'd like to finish the one I've been working on (for way too long) and get back to building whats in my head, like this one. I have parts for a gun my friend is wanting built, already inlet the barrel. He told me to build whatever I wanted, so I think I'll go this direction with it. Maybe more of a late Lehigh shape though.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 07:19:44 PM »
 Clear Spring I like the Soddy look on your gun plus the folksy
look. Really nice to see a gun that is quite different from the norm. Your use of antler is interesting and we'll done.
  Keep on building what you like an have fun...