Author Topic: Sparks not flying  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Bushfire

Sparks not flying
« on: March 14, 2022, 04:24:34 PM »
Not a building issue but possibly a tweaking one. A new flinter I bought is quite capable of producing sparks but I’m struggling to get it to ignite the pan, when it does all is relatively well.

I’m new to flintlocks and am used to my Pedersoli trade gun that lights up like a firework show every time so I’m not sure how to address the issue.

I’ve been filming it and then slowing things down, I think the issue is that the sparks are mostly landing forward of the pan.

How can I fix this or should I just bail on the gun?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Sparks not flying
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 06:03:17 PM »
  Seems you have plenty of spark. I would take a look at the touch hole alignment to the pan. Also make sure you have a clear path to the main charge.
  I'm no expert it's just what I would check. Maybe even open the touch hole a bit.   JMHO

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 06:06:40 PM »
I've had good luck grinding the pan open a bit to the front, if you have the room.

Online EC121

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 06:09:08 PM »
Show a picture of the lock with the hammer down and at halfcock and no sparks blocking the view.
Brice Stultz

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 06:24:02 PM »
Easy things first. Try orienting the flint upside down from how you're currently doing it. Try a shorter flint.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 06:59:36 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 06:32:04 PM »
Yep, what Dan said first. Looks like a lot of sparks for what you need. Just in the wrong place.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 06:46:20 PM »
I agree with Mr. Coats, you should try flipping the flint the other way.  A shorter flint may help too!.  Great pictures by the way.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 11:49:49 PM »
Silly questions, but as was said, go with simple first:
1. is your powder good?
2. Using Black Powder (not a BP sub)?
3. Tried 4f for priming?
and
4. Cleaning your touch hole after each shot?

Good luck and hang in there. Flintlocks are a tad more finicky than caplocks but it's a good challenge and lots of fun.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 12:35:39 AM »
Ahh, 2f for priming may be one issue. You can grind your 2f to make it finer for priming. I do it all the time. I use a ceramic bowl and spoon. I am very confident you'll get more pan ignition.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 12:53:44 AM »
As a last resort, you may have to bend the cock down alittle so when it comes to rest it is in the middle of the pan.

Offline utseabee

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 01:20:34 AM »
Do you know what kind of lock you have? I could be looking at it wrong, but the cock looks too high to me. I'm thinking that the geometry looks off, but it might just be the pictures.
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 01:39:31 AM »
As a last resort, you may have to bend the cock down alittle so when it comes to rest it is in the middle of the pan.

If flint reconfigurations won't move the "puddle" of sparks into the pan, tweak the cock.  I did this with my Nock lock.  2F lights up great.
Hold to the Wind

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 03:03:39 AM »

If flint reconfigurations won't move the "puddle" of sparks into the pan, tweak the cock.  I did this with my Nock lock.  2F lights up great.

What’s even involved in adjusting the cock?

If one has an acetylene torch, mount the cock in a vise by the body with the ledge the cock stops on resting on one jaw of the vise. Locally heat the neck of the cock bright red. Pressing on the top jaw, or gently tapping it, or grasping with pliers, bend the neck so the angle of the lower jaw is very slightly MTR downwards. You must avoid a situation where the top jaw screw strikes the frizzen and the flint dies not.

Using a forge, heat the whole cock orange. Quickly clamp the cock in a post vise as above. Do same maneuvers to very slightly change the lower jaw angle. It helps to have a helper.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 06:52:35 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Andover, Vermont

Online EC121

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 03:07:18 AM »
First try adding a shim to raise the back of the flint.  This will put the flint pointing at the pan.  Then adjust the flint outward to hit where it hits now.  You may have to tinker with the thickness of the shim and flint adjustment to get the angle you want.  I use pieces of leather or a shaved down popsicle stick.  It is about the same as bending the cock but it isn't permanent.   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 03:12:43 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 03:17:39 PM »
Do you know what kind of lock you have? I could be looking at it wrong, but the cock looks too high to me. I'm thinking that the geometry looks off, but it might just be the pictures.
I agree.  The flint looks like it is at rest in front of the pan rather than pointing at the pan.   If you like the gun, you could send the lock to Brad Emig at Cabin Creek .  He'll seek it for you.

Offline Medic980

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2022, 03:21:51 PM »
Seeing as this rifle is from someone else you may have to consider that the previous owner replaced the cock for some reason with a larger one. There are lots of replacement parts available online. You try purchasing a new shorter cock if you are uncomfortable with heating and bending the one thats on there. I know I'm not always comfortable modifying something that I know I could possibly cause irreversible damage to. Thats just my 2 cents. Best of luck with solving this problem and let us know how you fixed the problem if you do.

Trevor

Offline utseabee

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 11:15:57 PM »
I agree.  The flint looks like it is at rest in front of the pan rather than pointing at the pan.   If you like the gun, you could send the lock to Brad Emig at Cabin Creek .  He'll seek it for you.

I had the same issue and Brad Emig fit a shorter cock to the lock. You won't be disappointed if you send it to Brad. I now have him tune all my locks.
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2022, 05:31:51 AM »
Brad is the man.  All my locks go to him as well.
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline tecum-tha

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 04:43:07 PM »
I could have sworn that is a Pedersoli lock and I was right.
Flinteaters. I think this lock has the same issues as a lot of Pedersoli locks. And with this lock I am fairly sure it is a geometry issue. I was always under the impression that the springs were unbalanced and that the flint hits too square, dulling the flint in record time.

Offline Medic980

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2022, 02:14:36 PM »
You can always replace the whole thing with a chambers gun maker lock. You just have to trace out the current lock plate and cut out the shape. Atleast then you'd have a lock that you know will work. Just some food for thought.

Online Daryl

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2022, 08:14:03 PM »
Bushfire, some time back, Heleroo (West Australia) noted that black powder was $80.00 per pound. What is it now, if you don't mind me asking?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2022, 08:21:38 PM »
I'm thinking that the Chambers gun makers lock would also have to have the pan and sear in the right spot along with the lockplate

Offline Medic980

• Starting Member
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2022, 02:42:10 PM »
It’s not feasible getting anything from the states at the moment. I added one flint to my cart from Track of the Wolf and postage was $50.

I’ll send it to this gunsmith first and see what he does.

Mind you I’ve also just bought a Green River 54 cal (Aussie made one) which has a siler lock. That gun will be my focus for the rut which starts in April here.

I hate that postage is so unreasonable. If it would be cheaper for someone to buy a part or something and ship it to you at cost let me know I'd be willing to help. Are the flint so expensive just because its not a commonly found stone in Australia?

Online EC121

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2022, 03:53:54 PM »
Try Stonewall Creek Outfitters for flints.  www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com
Brice Stultz

Online Daryl

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2022, 11:10:34 PM »
Yes indeed - try Stonewall Creek. I've have very good results from them.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V