General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Flat horn intro

(1/5) > >>

Dennis Daigger:
The bag is full. NO MORE LITTLE THINGS. Elk horn and ebony scraps courtesy of Dick Robertson.

I finished this flat horn today and have learned more lessons as usual than I had expected to. First, get a basic horn working instruction book of some kind. If an incising blade has any flex it can easily wander when cutting lines. Scribes need to be very sharp. Horn, like wood, can have different levels of hardness in different areas. Tiny ebony wood nails are challenging to make. A tapered channel in the spout will make fitting a snug plug easier. A heat gun might be too high tech for me. Soaking over night then boiling in water seemed to work ok.

Here is the horn I started with and the end result.

Making wood 7/64" nails.

Really surprising the root beer color that emerged from under the black of the pointy end of the horn as it got worked down.

I had planned to scrim something on the whitest side but until I get a better handle on the tools it will stay as is. Controlling the depth of scribing and cutting the engrailing were the most difficult parts that need a LOT more practice.

I should say I recently got a John Proud flat horn so had an extraordinary example in hand to demonstrate how precise and artful horn work can be done. Inspirational for sure.
Dennis

Mike from OK:
That came out about 774x better than my first attempt at a flat horn... And I haven't even tried one yet!

Nice work Dennis!

Mike

Jim Filipski:
Very nice ...
I have to get some of my flat horns up!
You did great work!
Jim

Ken G:
Looks very nice to me.  Nice job.

Ken

Austin:
I wouldn’t change anything, i like the simplicity of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version