Author Topic: Can anyone ID this double flint gun  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Can anyone ID this double flint gun
« on: March 16, 2022, 02:14:01 AM »
A friend sent these to me. has been in his family for awhile. He does not know much about them. I will say it currently resides in one of the southern states.

Any help would be appreciated.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Can anyone ID this double flint gun
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 02:17:38 AM »
A few more:

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JHeath

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 03:04:01 AM »
Maybe Jacob Ferree of PA.

Some of it looks English-y but I don’t think it’s English.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 03:47:50 AM »
Brooks will know. Looks French to my less experienced eye. Locks do not look English to me at all. And it has a real cheekpiece. Can’t think it’s English.
Andover, Vermont

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 04:05:07 AM »
French hardware and stock styling to me. That doesn't make it French.  Could be from the nether regions. I didn't look into or research the lock engraving.. every time I turned my phone upside down to read, it flipped on me again  🙃

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 04:05:47 AM »
Hi,
It is most likely French or Belgian and of middling quality.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 05:48:52 AM »
Interesting...the J.Ferree (or what appears to the J. Ferree) signature on this piece is almost identical to this J. Ferree on a cobbled-together pistol offered up to me after I got the Joel Ferree rifle at the recent Florida auction.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 05:51:56 AM »
And...isn't that "Lancaster" on the other lock?  Strange stuff.

Offline JHeath

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 07:12:24 AM »
Jacob Ferree lived 1750 - 1807, made guns and powder in PA. He was the nephew of Joel Ferree, also a gunsmith. I am no expert about the design and construction but that seems a clue for a gun that says "J. Ferree" and "Lancaster."

A DAR chapter is named for him:

https://www.jacobferreechapterdar.org/about.html

If you scroll to the bottom, it cites a book, "Ferree Family Gunsmiths". So maybe there was a James, John, Joseph, and Jesse Ferree.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 01:03:04 PM »
Note the brass inlay marked 139.And yes the lock does have Lancaster on it.

Dennis

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 01:24:49 PM »
To me it looks a bit of this and a bit of that with old and new parts  most likely built in the 1970,s or  60,s
Feltwad

Offline pilot

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 04:42:20 PM »
The number tag reminds me of a "rack tag" you see on military rifles.  Seems odd on a shotgun.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 06:24:43 PM »
French or possibly Belgian. I have seen many of these over the years. The barrels are removed by removing the ram rod then pulling out a collar inside of the rear ram rod pipe.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 10:25:36 PM »
That name/place engraving on the locks certainly isn't anywhere as old as most of the guys on this forum, nor their kids!
And it's not remotely similar to the way the real J Ferree signed his name.
Just my opinion of course.
John Robbins

Offline JHeath

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 11:26:41 PM »
That name/place engraving on the locks certainly isn't anywhere as old as most of the guys on this forum, nor their kids!

Which “real” J Ferree? There was Joel born 1729, Jacob born 1750, and apparently more Ferrees since a descendant wrote a book about Ferree family gunsmiths. When you say “certainly”, how are you certain it was no Ferree who ever made guns?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2022, 12:12:46 AM »

Which “real” J Ferree? There was Joel born 1729, Jacob born 1750, and apparently more Ferrees since a descendant wrote a book about Ferree family gunsmiths. When you say “certainly”, how are you certain it was no Ferree who ever made guns?

Just my opinion, of course. If you want to believe a Ferree made this gun, feel free to do so.
John Robbins

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2022, 01:35:21 AM »
Just my opinion as well but the supposed J. Ferree and Lancaster on these locks is virtually identical to the J. Ferree on the cobbled-together pistol I posted previously in this thread.  I appears to me that someone at sometime and in some place decided to slap together and mark some comparable locks to a J. Ferree with the implication of it being the earlier Joel Ferree who started out in Lancaster County.  To see an actual Joel Ferree signature, check out the rifle that was recently "discovered" at a Florida auction in the "They're still out there" posts of a month or two back on this forum.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2022, 02:01:45 AM »
The “engraving” on these locks almost looks like Dremel tool work. Its is a far cry from Ferree quality actual engraving. Too bad to mess up any quality flintlock double gun. I would still like this gun on my wall, appreciating it in spite of the forgery.
Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline JHeath

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2022, 03:43:46 AM »

Just my opinion, of course. If you want to believe a Ferree made this gun, feel free to do so.

I don’t know or care if a Ferree made this gun. I am just interested in how or whether people eliminate possibilities before making judgments. This gun might have cobbled together last week for all I know. Or maybe it was cobbled together in 1790 or 1840 by another member of the family. When you start analyzing a gun is it a presumptive forgery until proven otherwise? Is it presumptively genuine until proven otherwise? Or do we withhold judgement and start eliminating possibilities? Commenters above say it is a forgery because the signature is not “Joel Ferree’s”. There were at least 5 Joel Ferrees involved in gunsmithing, plus Jacob Ferree. The gun might be the biggest forgery since Howard Hughes’s will. Or maybe the 2nd Joel A Ferree made it at age 10 the way we built model airplanes.

I think it is wrong to declare a guy’s gun a forgery without having done more homework. He likes his gun, maybe it was a gift from a relative that came with a story about it being passed down in the family. And now we’re declaring that Uncle Harry was a liar, because we didn’t know the signatures of the other 5 Ferrees or maybe even didn’t know they existed. I’m less than an amateur but a couple minutes of google turned up this:

http://www.ferreedescendants.com/gunsmiths.htm

Joel Ferree 1731-1801
Jacob Ferree 1750-1807
Col Joel Ferree 1771-1813
Joel A Ferree 1806-1861
Joel Thornton Ferree 1815-1882
Joel A Ferree 1847-1880

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2022, 04:05:38 AM »
There is nothing about this gun that resembles American work of the late 1700s. It would not matter whether it was proposed that it was made by American gunsmiths named J Ferree or J Dickert or J Schreit or J Bonewitz or JP Beck, folks who have studied colonial and federal period American guns could not see architectural or stylistic reasons to suppose this gun was made here. So, all it has going for it, in regards to a link to America in the late 1700s, is a name engraved on it that is the same as a couple of important makers of Pennsylvania longrifles.
Andover, Vermont

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2022, 07:41:13 AM »
The engraved name and town do not have any contrasting residue, rust or dirt in them. There are bright highlight from the cuts indicating a clean, new surface; whether it is a highly cleaned old surface or a newly cut face is not possible to determine. I would just like to say that when JTR speaks, you would be wise to listen. He is now retired, but once was a top level collector of fine pieces and a spectacular restorer. I support his position on this one. What are your credentials?
Dick

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2022, 11:29:27 AM »
French or possibly Belgian. I have seen many of these over the years. The barrels are removed by removing the ram rod then pulling out a collar inside of the rear ram rod pipe.
Sir I think this is the type of wedge of French sxs  flint and percussion guns you mentioned
Feltwad

« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 11:42:15 AM by Feltwad »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2022, 04:37:24 PM »
Hi Guys,
Another thing odd about this gun is the cheek piece.  It looks like one you might find on an American or Germanic rifle but I've not seen anything like it on French-made guns. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2022, 06:01:49 PM »
Hi Guys,
Another thing odd about this gun is the cheek piece.  It looks like one you might find on an American or Germanic rifle but I've not seen anything like it on French-made guns. 

dave

I agree I still think it is a  late re built with different  period parts
Feltwad

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2022, 03:18:26 PM »
That fast release of the barrels could make a set up for a fast barrel change with an extra set of ready to go loaded.
The area behind the locks seems REALLY flimsy to me.
Bob Roller