Author Topic: aqua fortis dilution  (Read 2369 times)

msw

aqua fortis dilution
« on: March 16, 2022, 08:43:27 PM »
i am contemplating using aqua fortis on an ash stock.  can i dilute it, and if so, how do i do this?
also, should i use Permalyn, or Tried & True?
any guidance (except to take up knitting) is appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: aqua fortis dilution
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 09:19:43 PM »
i am contemplating using aqua fortis on an ash stock.  can i dilute it, and if so, how do i do this?

Thanks!
I'd use kibler's iron nitrate and Chambers finish.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dewster

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 10:06:40 PM »
What Mike said.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 01:18:23 AM »
Iron nitrate looks great on ash.  I wouldn't worry about diluting it.  As far as finish goes, it's not so much about what you use, but how you use it.  There are a lot of good choices.  A few are Tried and True Oil Varnish, Permalyn Sealer, Southerland Wells Tung Oil, Chambers Oil and Minwax Antique Oil.  I'm sure there are many others as well.

Some dig in and have strong opinions about finish, but You can make a variety work well.  I would love to have those individuals try to name the finish used on rifles I've built.  I'm pretty sure this would be surprising.

Jim

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 06:45:21 AM »
^ well do tell. A lot of us are all ears.

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 07:20:13 AM »
That’s Good news to hear about the final finish. I don’t have a great selection to choose from up here.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 08:04:23 AM »
If a guy was to use a diluted aqua fortis solution you should probably dilute it properly, acid into water or is it water into acid? :-\

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 01:30:39 PM »
We often use the term aquafortis to mean ferric nitrate. Aquafortis (nitric acid) without iron saturation does little to enhance maple. If asking how to dilute a solution of iron-saturated dilute nitric acid, just add water.
Andover, Vermont

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 01:42:23 PM »
This is what one can get on hard sugar maple with a 1 to 5 aquafortis solution (no iron, just nitric acid and water). I can't offhand remember the strength percentage of the nitric at the moment. This one is by Jim Hash and is in Three Centuries of Tradition.
I have used this same mixture successfully on English walnut.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 03:16:46 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 03:57:32 PM »
If a guy was to use a diluted aqua fortis solution you should probably dilute it properly, acid into water or is it water into acid? :-\

water into acid, prepare to be blasted!    acid into water, just like you ought'r

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 05:08:04 PM »

Thanks!
Actually its not Aqua Fortis but a solution made with Aqua Fortis. Its actually Ferric Nitrate.
I never dilute it. And be careful of some store bought versions. At least one is adulterated with hydrochloric and will over time turn the stock very dark. BTDT. Best to buy Ferric Nitrate crystals and mix your own with distilled water, testing it on scraps until its strong enough. MUCH safer than making it with acid and nails or wire. Color is identical in all respects according to a test done by a member of our GUnmakers Guild.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 05:23:36 PM »
I also avoid synthetic finishes or those with solvents other that turpentine added.  At one time was wet sanding with a “Tung oil” varnish on Sharps stocks. Never again will I use a solvent laden stock finish. When you contemplate buying a stock finish look up the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) it might surprise you. Most of this stuff, other than Chambers and I think Tried and True, are variations of stuff sold is hardware stores and lumber yards to people who don’t know any better.
Finally I can usually tell a synthetic finish just by looking at it. Just because Bivens, back in the 70’s, adopted a synthetic finish for the Centennial rifles does not mean I have to.
Since  this stuff is so low in anything but solvents it takes a LOT of coats to make a finish and lot of fumes inhaled in the process. They “dry” by solvent evaporation.
Like this from Brownells site

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 07:56:06 PM »
I have used dozens of finishes over the years.  As previously mentioned it more about how you use it than the name on the can.  For now I am using hardware store spar varnish.  I dilute it significantly with turpentine and add a dollop of japan dryer.  The finish is stored in a screw top Tupperware for the one job.  It lasts a few days on the bench.

I apply it with a wad of ladies stocking material.  IT has no lint.  It holds the finish but is not absorbent.  I apply a generous coat first pass and wipe off the excess after about 10 minuets.  I scotch brite between coats.  I then apply one thin coat per day.  I takes me about four days to get a slightly built up finish with filled grain.   

The ferric nitrate I use is:
https://www.amazon.com/HiMedia-GRM755-500G-Ferric-Nitrate-Nonahydrate/dp/B07VZMTM9C
I put a teaspoon in a cup of tap water. 

IF you use to much ferric nitrate you will get a flocky rust build up on the surface.  That comes off easily.   It is hard to do it wrong.   

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2022, 10:49:27 PM »
Amazon won’t ship that to me. I might have to use the powder style and mix it myself.

Offline Karl Kunkel

Kunk

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2022, 07:53:22 PM »
Amazon won’t ship that to me. I might have to use the powder style and mix it myself.

That is the dry crystals.  It will turn to wet sludge over time because it is hydroscopic.  Funny about the restrictions.  It is useless as an oxidizer for illegal activities. 

Jut buy it wherever you can. 

msw

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2022, 09:12:00 PM »
thank you, one and all, for the responses ... i am not now smarter, but a good bit less dumb.

emboldened, i tried some aquafortis (Track of the Wolf that's been in my basement a long time).  Regrettably, when i went to blush it with my handy dandy (el-cheap-o) heat gun, it went from the weird green to scorched in about a half second.  I tried a different spot at a lower setting ... same result ... then i went to the barrel channel and tried a hair drier, and it wouldn't blush at all.

In my frustration, i forgot that you're not supposed to do that, and now there's a light spot of rust on the underside of the barrel ... wisdom is gained from experience, and experience is gained from bad decisions ... so how come i'm not the smartest guy in the world?

So, the 'dumb question:'  can aquafortis go stale?  Is what i'm using past it's 'sell by' date?  Or am I doing something to cause this problem ... unfortunately, i don't have any scrap ash, and i'm pretty much out of spots where whatever i do won't show.

I'm about to give up on this aquafortis project altogether and just use some stain.  (and swearing ... lots and lots of swearing ...

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2022, 09:20:28 PM »
I let it dry overnight after wetting with AQF. Barrel channels are very hard to use for testing because of the thin top edge. Some things are easier shown than explained. I keep the heat gun moving to avoid scorching while getting the wood too hot to hold.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2022, 12:40:23 AM »
I never dilute it either.   When you are making it you reach a point that the iron content super saturated the acid and all reaction bubbling stops! That is Ferric Nitrate ( What was called Aqua Fortis back then) it is actually a bit viscous. Actually, I never tested the PH, but it should be close to neutral or a bit acidic based on my knowledge of chemistry. It only bubbles slightly with a neutraizing wash of concentrated wood ash in water!
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."