Author Topic: Neetsfoot oil for patch lube  (Read 5150 times)

Offline petejc

• Starting Member
Re: Neetsfoot oil for patch lube
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2023, 06:43:55 AM »
In my .54 rifle I built in 1987 I've been using Wonder Lube for hunting and just plain shooting....I noticed only Darkhorse is the only one that mentioned it....Does anyone else use Wonder Lube and if so how do you think it compares to all the others...Pete
U.S. Navy 61 to 65, Pa. State Trooper 30 yrs, NRA Life member

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2023, 07:27:04 AM »
Some people report a build up of difficult to remove substance in the bore after using wonder lube.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2023, 05:49:19 PM »
I have "heard" the same about buildup, which does seem strange to me. Must be fairly loose loads to allow a buildup.
Neetsfoot Oil and Track's Mink Oil work for me.  I first tried the mink oil back in the mid 80's and it was SUPER good lube
for hunting, even in very cold freezing weather. Only my first shot was lubed with mink oil. Subsequent shots were from
paper ctgs. These work very well in calibres .54 and over. Bruce S. member here has experimented with them down to
.54 calibre and says they worked very well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline TDM

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2023, 11:05:27 PM »
Fortunately for me, I'm seldom shooting in below freezing temps. TOWs mink oil works very well for me under most all conditions. My homemade lube starts with 50/50 beeswax/crisco for warm weather and I add a little neetsfoot oil or olive oil or canola oil as needed in winter. I've personally never noticed a difference in which oil I choose to thin the lube.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2023, 05:54:00 PM »
Has anyone tried neetsfoot oil as a patch lube? Opinions or thoughts?

Works great. But don’t over lube them. Messy. A few drops on a patch and allowed to set over night or squeeze them between vise jaws to remove the excess and make them uniformly oily. I use the aluminum backers on Brownells plastic vise jaw pads when I do this.  Like if I need them that day,  Used it for years.
I would not put them in a patchbox either.
I carry then in a tin in the shot pouch.
You can alos mix it with beeswax to make a pretty good patch lube. 2:1 BW to oil by WEIGHT. You can play with the formula. To harden or soften in. Use a double boiler. Never use direct heat on BW. Two cans that will fin in each other will work. Or check thrift stores for a used double boiler.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2023, 06:32:55 PM »
I tried finding a MSDS for Wonderlube and had not luck. At least not the stuff traditions sells. Sounds like snake oil to me. Most BP solvents are.  And they are grossly overpriced.
Graphite.
SFAIK Swiss has no graphite.
Graphite is added to the powder, especially lower grade powders to 1. Make them look like a better grade of powder. 2. Make them flow easier.
I don’t know what the Major market for BP is in the world today but until a few years ago it was the military. Its used in fuses and boosters in propellant charges for field peices and naval artillery. The military, in this context did nto care about fouling all that mattered was that the powder was good enough to burn properly (like in grenade fuses, and would ignite properly when used as a booster for large propellant charges. Even the 105 Howitzer used a BP booter in the primer tube to properly ignite the main charge. Thus the production at Moosic at least went to the military and IIRC what bill knight wrote or told me about it that all dupont used it for was military powder. I have no idea if the military is still the prime used of BP or not or it Goex was the supplier. But neither Dupont made in Moosic, G-O or Goex was of the quality of the powders available in the mid-late 19th c. And I can say without reservation that the late production at Moosic was $#@*. Why? Because is was made with well water contaminated with sulfur oxiding bacteria that would eat the sulfur while the powder was in storage or in the can. ML shooters did not notice this but PBCR shooters using drop tubes sure did. THis is from Bill by the way not something i made up.
The British military, back in the BP era and perhaps beyond would not accept powders coated with “black lead”.
One of the best ever patch lubes was Sperm Whale Oil. From the head not the rendered stuff. But its not available except maybe in Japan who still kills whales SFAIK. Some of the best patch lube I ever used was the old Sharps Rifle Co. lube recipe. 1:2  BW: SW oil by weight.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine