Author Topic: S. Pannabecker 091007-1  (Read 10218 times)

Offline nord

S. Pannabecker 091007-1
« on: October 13, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »
A smooth rifle signed on the top barrel flat S. Pannabecker. Samuel made
some fancy guns as well. Another good example of a farmer's gun. The
Pannabecker family is better known for it's rifle barrels, which it made
wholesale, than gunmaking.
The barrel is 49 in. long, octagon to round, about .58 cal., 1 in. at the
breech.
The buttplate is 4 5/8 in. wide and 1 5/8 in. high. No toe plate.
The lock is a crude replacement. All else seems original.
Though you can't see it, the buttplate is inletted askew.
The gun points beautifully.

Comments:

This one is another good example of an everyday working rifle.
It's only luxury being the little bit of carving by the tang, and a fancy trigger.
Guns like this must have been as common as fleas on a dog at the time. But not surprisingly, most didn't make it down through time.
For the contemporary makers here, notice the thinness of the fore arm wood next to the barrel.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, I've never seen a smooth rifle with a 4 5/8" wide butt plate, let alone only 1 5/8" tall! Must have been made for a really short fat person..... or could Nord possibly have made a typo?Huh  (Nord didn't! I suspect a contributor error and will correct if so directed.)

This is a great smooth rifle, with great signature, and a gun where quality wood and graceful lines are the earmark of what a Kentucky-type gun is all about. It has a very tall and flat shotgun type butt without cheekpiece, and a single trigger, indicating it was used primarily as a fowler.... but could shoot a ball if necessary. The side facings are long and graceful. The trigger design is unexpected and perhaps unique, which always makes me wish I could see it in hand to verify its originality. For study purposes a signed piece is always preferred, so this is a fine candidate for the museum. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an intriguing gun and is very well made. It qualifies as a fowling gun although it could still shoot a round ball. The 'Pennypackers' were good at whatever they did and they did it for a long time. They made beautiful rifles and beautiful barrels. I have always regarded the Pannabecker rifle in Kindig as one of the greatest rifles, ever.
Given the dimensions of this gun, the very wide triggerguard, and squared wide tang, it may well be fairly early, that is, a very late 1700s piece. The carving around the shoulders and the fabulous trigger are great touches and indicate that the builder took pride in this gun. It wasn't going to be just a 'plain Jane' gun.
The condition is very good and 'as found', suggesting that the owner(s) appreciated it and took care of it.
A fine example to grace the wall of the Library, where it deserves to be placed at the the first opportunity.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:45:07 PM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.