Author Topic: Current kibler class progress  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Current kibler class progress
« on: March 22, 2022, 03:28:17 PM »
Day one, Monday.  By some miracle all seven students have their kits fully assembled by the end of the day
 We have  5 smrs and 2 colonials. Tuesday  looks to be sanding day. More updates to follow.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Re: Current kibler class progress
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 04:30:04 PM »
Perhaps it's not by some "miracle" the students are shining... maybe they have a great teacher?
Looking forward to how they progress.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 04:44:55 PM »
We’ll be working on decorating these guns today. Both incised and raised stock moldings.
I see no reason why we can’t have 7 finished guns by Friday morning.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 05:04:49 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the finished products. With Wayne and Mike as instructors, they should look awesome. Keep at it!

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 07:20:30 PM »
Did anybody put their finger in the bore?
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 07:27:40 PM »
Lol!!
Eat Beef

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 07:33:27 PM »

Stop Marxism in America

Offline DavidC

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 11:24:54 PM »
Is the age range of these classes usually in the upper 40's + area? It's good to see people take classes but I'm always disappointed when I see a big age gap between myself and so many other people interested in longrifles.

I'd take the class but I'm pretty sure I'm the one that's going to give Mr. Brooks an aneurysm or at least some mild apoplexy by day's end.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 11:39:43 PM »
Age range from 40 to mid 70s.  Everyone in this class is dead serious about getting the work out. We did some carving on the colonial kits today and all of the mountain rifles are ready for stain. It’s been an amazing 2 days.

Stop Marxism in America

Offline DavidC

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 11:51:54 PM »
Is the carving all designed by the builder or do you use something more template based to keep it similar between the people in the class? Do you prefer the carving to be planned out before the class dates? I've seriously considered taking a week long class with a focus on plank building and finishing details but something always comes up that demands that precious time off.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 12:01:25 AM »
That looks like a very nice and roomy facility you guys are working in!  Kudos for passing knowledge on and teaching others. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2022, 12:04:54 AM »
Very clean and orderly!
Do y’all allow cussing? :-X

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2022, 12:11:07 AM »

This is one of the stocks that we’re working with. The student just whiskered the wood.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2022, 02:38:28 AM »
Any horses in he bar tonight?
Eat Beef

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2022, 02:45:50 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing! Love to see it!
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2022, 05:55:00 AM »
Is the age range of these classes usually in the upper 40's + area? It's good to see people take classes but I'm always disappointed when I see a big age gap between myself and so many other people interested in longrifles.

I'd take the class but I'm pretty sure I'm the one that's going to give Mr. Brooks an aneurysm or at least some mild apoplexy by day's end.

David, I took Mike and Waynes “Build from a Blank” class and I am 26. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had. Other than building a rifle from a blank, it was fascinating to hear Mike and Wayne debate over the KRA Moravian photos..

Highly recommend!!

Offline Bushfire

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2022, 03:34:09 PM »

David, I took Mike and Waynes “Build from a Blank” class and I am 26. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had. Other than building a rifle from a blank, it was fascinating to hear Mike and Wayne debate over the KRA Moravian photos..

Highly recommend!!

Glad there are some other young people into the sport. Here in Australia I've not spoken to anyone within 15 years of me and most 20-40 years older. I just turned 31 couple of weeks ago.

Regarding Kiblers, I find it a real disappointment as they simply stopped replying to my emails. I found out from another aussie they didn't want to stamp Serial numbers on the barrel which is a requirement here so we can't get them. Otherwise I'd have done a colonial 58 as a segue into gun building. Not sure where to start now with no background in gun building and no one ro show me the way around here.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2022, 03:59:17 PM »
We’re sorry for the trouble.  Things are extraordinarily busy and some things slip through the cracks.  Especially difficult things such as international shipments.  We have been reluctant to deal with serial numbers, but if the whole process of shipping to Australia is reasonable, we’ll certainly consider it.  Please email Lorie at lorie@kiblerslongrifles.com and mention we spoke.  Let us know what we need to do in order to ship you a kit and we’ll see what can be done. 

All the best,
Jim

Offline c deperro

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 04:26:47 PM »
Bushfire what stops you from stamping your own number on the bottom of the barrel to meet your regulations. I had to do that to a rifle in order to hunt in Canada.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 08:46:31 PM »
Pretty sure it needs to have a S#, just to be imported into the country in the first place, c deperro.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2022, 09:08:01 PM »
I shipped an assembled rifle there years ago.  It had to have a serial number and pass a trigger pull test to get through customs.  Not sure what the requirements would be for importing unassembled rifle parts?  I do remember that FedEx was a bear to deal with on shipping. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Bushfire

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2022, 11:35:31 PM »
We’re sorry for the trouble.  Things are extraordinarily busy and some things slip through the cracks.  Especially difficult things such as international shipments.  We have been reluctant to deal with serial numbers, but if the whole process of shipping to Australia is reasonable, we’ll certainly consider it.  Please email Lorie at lorie@kiblerslongrifles.com and mention we spoke.  Let us know what we need to do in order to ship you a kit and we’ll see what can be done. 

All the best,
Jim

Jim,

I’m not sure why the process is but I know that Chambers do it semi regularly so it’s not an impossibility. We’re not a big market here but I do know that there are at least some others that have wanted a kibler rifle as well.
My emails were over 6 months ago and since then I’ve bought a couple of flintlocks so financially so I’m not at the point of buying another right now. I don’t reenact or target shoot, I only hunt and needed something reliable and of high quality which is why I ended up contacting you guys originally. A 58 colonial sounds like it’d be great red stag medicine! If you are at least willing to consider working with me on getting one here, when I can get the money together I’ll definitely contact you regarding it.

Thank you.

Jim Evans

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2022, 12:40:53 PM »

Where is this class being held?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2022, 03:10:51 PM »

Where is this class being held?
[/quote

At the Education building in Friendship Indiana
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2022, 11:48:23 PM »
Day 4 and 5 of 7 students have completed their projects and are headed home with a beautiful new rifle. It looks like we will have the last two finished by mid morning tomorrow. We had a great group of folks and some beautiful guns.

definition of poem in hindi
Stop Marxism in America