Author Topic: Painted Horn With Two Bands & One Of My Helpers  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Painted Horn With Two Bands & One Of My Helpers
« on: March 22, 2022, 07:11:04 PM »
  It is about 11 1/2" around the outside curve and 9 tip-to-tip. The butt is Walnut hollowed out about 3/4s its length. It is held in by the same 4 iron pins that hold the base band in place. The tip is a two pieces of Whitetail antler pinned together with 3 wooden pegs and to the horn with 3 more. The band is held but 3 pins as well. The color is Buttermilk milk paint coated with Brown shoe polish and buffed with a brush.
 And the "Helper", Lilly, she's a Welsh Terrier. 

Tim C.

Offline hawkeye

Re: Painted Horn With Two Bands & One Of My Helpers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 07:17:56 PM »
The horn looks nice and the dog too😜

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 10:16:25 PM »
That’s a good looking helper but it’s a real dog, in reality.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 09:08:09 PM »
Tim, did you dye the horn with colors to compliment your dog's coat?   If so, well done.  Great looking horn.  I have yet to see one of your milk paint horns that I don't like.  I think you are really hitting on all cylinders.  Great tones and colors. 

I was just studying the floral horns you and Carla did last night.  Delightful art. 

Your Friend,   Marc

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 09:28:08 PM »
That dog looks like he's got a baaad attitude!  You steal his favorite chew toy to make bands??
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 11:16:09 PM »
That dog looks like he's got a baaad attitude!  You steal his favorite chew toy to make bands??

Yea, in the Pic she's got the look. They should be called "Welsh Terrorists". I let her out one night, heard a racket, went out with a light and she had a coon about her size by the neck, she won. We've got seven Grandkids and in 6 years she has never had a problem with them and they Love her. They blitz by me to get out in the yard to play with her. Hardheaded as a rock. Got a Black Lab that is laid back, true to form and they get along fine.

Tim 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 11:49:44 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 04:00:30 PM »
Very nice horn there Tim and Miss Lilly is also quite stunning. I bet she is lots of company for you.
Kind Regards
Frank

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 03:45:58 AM »
Beautiful horn!
Your helper has Groucho Marx eyebrows!  8)

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 04:45:08 AM »
Tim - I love the color and tone you get on your horns.  I can’t help but wonder what they might look like after a century of patina.  Every shop needs a helper dog or a brace of cats.  I hope to introduce my 13 week old husky to my shop soon but he has to stop eating everything he finds on the floor before he can be a helper - that or I have to actually sweep for once.
Joe
Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 05:40:46 AM »
Tim, do you have to keep an eye on your helper? My German Shepherd is like a magnet to a horn. When I get new horns in he takes a great deal of interest in them and will snatch one if he gets a chance.

We finally bought him one of his own. He carries it around by the narrow end... Looks a bit like Sherlock Holmes with his calabash pipe.

And as always your work is a sight to behold.

Mike

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2022, 10:05:57 PM »
Lily is gorgeous, but needs to wax her mustache.  I'd wager she is great company while you make those interesting things.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.