General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Bear grease

<< < (2/3) > >>

Hunterdude:
I have been told the 50th shot goes down as easy as the first shot with bear grease...but is it as accurate as the first shot? I guess what I am asking is how do you swab if ever when shooting a bunch? I suppose you could send down a clean patch with bear grease and then a dry patch to remove excess grease? Just trying to keep that hunting load accuracy up.

Stoner creek:

--- Quote from: Hunterdude on March 28, 2022, 08:47:12 PM ---I have been told the 50th shot goes down as easy as the first shot with bear grease...but is it as accurate as the first shot? I guess what I am asking is how do you swab if ever when shooting a bunch? I suppose you could send down a clean patch with bear grease and then a dry patch to remove excess grease? Just trying to keep that hunting load accuracy up.

--- End quote ---

More than likely that different barrels will react differently.  An example might be deep grooves versus shallow grooves or 45 caliber versus 60 caliber. Patch type or thickness. 48 twist versus 66 twist.  You will probably have to find the sweet spot out on the range. 42 years of playing this game has taught me that there are very few constants..

Daryl:
This tie breaker target was the 23rd shot, no wiping.
As you can see, I missed my 3rd and 12th on-target shots. Still won, though.
My first shot was a 'fouling" shot, not fired for score.
At Hefley Creek, the last shot of the trail is always the tie-breaker.

alacran:
I like bear grease. I have been using it since I got away from Teflon coated patches. I tried all sorts of different things.  Used Tracks mink oil and as far as I'm concerned it is interchangeable with bear oil. I can get bear oil from friends who hunt bears. A quart of it lasts a long time.
As far as your question as to the 50th shot being as accurate as the first, can only be determined by shooting at paper off of a bench , or cross sticks.
At least 50 yards.
However after 25 shots, fatigue will start to set in on the shooter, and that will impact accuracy. 25 well aimed shots take a lot of focus and adherence to shooting technique. If your accuracy is as good on the 25th shot as the first, you are good to go.

smylee grouch:
alacran has nailed it. You can not determine REAL accuracy by shooting one good 5 shot group IMHO. Just about every one/gun can shoot a small group  but if the gun/load/shooter is really accurate it will shoot those small groups all the time. A good patch lube is part of that combination and bear grease is one of those lubes that doubles as a good after cleaning treatment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version