Author Topic: Where to buy Black Powder small amounts  (Read 2665 times)

Offline foresterdj

Where to buy Black Powder small amounts
« on: March 26, 2022, 05:23:33 AM »
I have plenty of 2F and 3F for now, with my newly built flintlocks I am looking for some 4F. Have found online locations that have some, but you need to buy a couple hundred dollars worth (you can mix and match, does not all need to be 4F), but really only want or need a pound or less. The only stuff around here locally is black powder substitutes.

Offline MuskratMike

Re: Where to buy Black Powder small amounts
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 07:37:35 AM »
Check with clubs in your area. Might find someone who is willing to make a trade.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 07:19:37 PM »
At todays prices a couple hundred bucks worth won't be that many pounds ;) so a pound of 4f and the rest in 2 or 3 and you will be set up for a long time. It's usually the hazmat and shipping that kills you.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 08:07:46 PM »
At todays prices a couple hundred bucks worth won't be that many pounds ;) so a pound of 4f and the rest in 2 or 3 and you will be set up for a long time. It's usually the hazmat and shipping that kills you.

I have a can of 4fg I bought from E.M.Farris in 1969 and it's probably down to 14 ounces by now.Smylee Grouch has the right idea and my experiences tell me that 3fg works as well for priming.
Bob Roller

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 10:48:19 PM »
What state are you located ?

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 01:28:40 AM »
It does sound like a pound of 4Fg would last a lifetime, especially for someone just retired,  ;D

Gun club will start to get more active here (Bemidji MN) in another month or so and I will ask around then. Seems like a 1/4 pound even would take me a long ways. I did test the locks with 3Fg, which seemed to light off fine, but have not tried with a load in the barrel. When I took a couple shots with the pistol my neighbor let me shake a little 4Fg out of his horn, but he had barely a 1/4" in the bottom curve when we shined a bright light through the horn. Only a few shots and it will be gone.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 01:50:41 AM »
If your in the Bemidji area you are fairly close to Track of the Wolf in Elk River and I think they sell powder.  :-\

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 04:18:20 AM »
I have checked their site, for a while out of stock, now I do not even see a listing for it.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 04:47:03 AM »
The Bemidji Hangfires I think is the name of a club there, are you a member and if so maybe they have powder for sale to members.

Offline martin9

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 05:02:32 PM »
I'm assuming you want 4f for priming the pan. It's not needed...3f or 2f will work just as well. I have a couple #s of 4f here I haven't touched in years. Got tired of fooling with a separate priming horn.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 05:34:31 PM »
I agree with what has been said with regard to priming with 3F and 2F.  However, if one wants to use a priming valve, 4F is pretty much required.  I find those little dribblers to be very handy on the range.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 08:50:48 PM »
I use 4Fg exclusively in my flintlocks.  I think I have about 6 pounds of it.  When I find powder available for sale, I buy as much as I can afford, and still be within the law.  It is never going to be cheaper than it is right now, so don't pass it up thinking it's too expensive.  I'm short of 3Fg right now, but have recently bought 5 pounds from our Alberta supplier.  GOEX is unavailable now, so the new powder is Schutzen and Swiss, and they are both more spendy than GOEX.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 12:26:32 AM »
I have plenty of 2F and 3F for now, with my newly built flintlocks I am looking for some 4F. Have found online locations that have some, but you need to buy a couple hundred dollars worth (you can mix and match, does not all need to be 4F), but really only want or need a pound or less. The only stuff around here locally is black powder substitutes.

For the time being, a lot of the powder suppliers have limited how much powder one individual can purchase... seems 10 lbs was the max on at least one site last time I looked... Maine powder house I think. Buffalo arms used to let people order as little as 5 lbs.

My point is, call some of them and ask how small an order you can place right now. You may be able to get away with 1 lb or as little as 3 lbs. In the case of a 3 lb order I would order an pound each of  2f, 3f, and 4f. Or two of one of the larger granulations and a 1 of 4f.

Or as others have suggested, switch to 3f for priming. You won't be able to notice a difference in speed of ignition and 3f fouling is not as bad about turning to soup in the pan during humid conditions.

Mike

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 12:39:57 AM »
IIRC there are some that sell 1/2 lb. cans of Null B.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2022, 03:06:00 AM »
Now THAT's one I'd like to try some time, Null B. Like Taylor, I use 4F. I have a couple pounds of it, and a pound lasts quite well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 03:48:41 AM »
There are a lot of people saying that 2f and 3f work just as good as 4f. How can they tell? Did they run tests and time the difference? The only test that I know of proved 4f faster. This is not to say that 2 and 3f dont work, I used 1&1/2f once and it worked. BUT Larry P.s tests did prove that the 4f was faster and Null B I think is even faster yet. I think the majority of the serious flint bench shooters use 4f or Null B

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 04:54:06 AM »
"There are a lot of people saying that 2f and 3f work just as good as 4f. How can they tell? Did they run tests and time the difference? The only test that I know of proved 4f faster. This is not to say that 2 and 3f dont work, I used 1&1/2f once and it worked. BUT Larry P.s tests did prove that the 4f was faster and Null B I think is even faster yet. I think the majority of the serious flint bench shooters use 4f or Null B"

Ditto Smylee.  Larry's high speed camera tests proved that there is a difference in 2f, 3f, 4f and Null B.  Yes, 2f in the pan will probably set off a charge just fine. That is not what matters to me.  I want a priming powder that set off the charge, and FAST.  Larry's test showed that 4f is significantly faster than 2f, but the human senses are not good enough to detect that.  A muzzle can move a lot in a split second.  I am guessing the offhand winners at Friendship are not doing it with 2f in the pan either.  If I am pulling a trigger, I want all the advantage I can get to hit what I am aiming at.  Hence, using priming powder versus main charge powder in the pan.  Yeah, back in the day they only had one powder.  We have choices today, and I choose to shoot what is faster igniting. 

Daryl, just FYI, I used Null B for a while as it is faster by a frog-hair smidgen than 4f.  Not much, but it gave me a mental edge.  That said, I quit using it.  Why?  It basically plates the pan with graphite with each shot.  It was wiping with alcohol to clear it off between shots.  Bill Knight correctly deduced what was happening.  The Null B has a much greater percentage of graphite as compared to 4f.  I switched to 4f and the problem reduced greatly.  No biggie, but Null B is much more expensive than 4f Swiss.  Like double the price. Just thought you should have all the info before going after Null B. 

God Bless, and best wishes,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2022, 09:11:34 PM »
Well, that puts it out of my price range, Marc. Thanks for your post.
4F GOEX has been working for me just fine. I've used 3F when shooting on the trail and running out of 4F, but that was with my L&R Dickert lock, stock, that was as fast as anything
I have ever seen. Actually, I have a video of that lock, with the 3f priming shot, the only time I have ever used anything other than 4F.  It was on a "Loading Video" we did a number
of years ago. Still have it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline martin9

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2022, 10:02:08 PM »
I don't think this is a thread aruging speed differences. the OP is having a hard time finding 4F....so, in this instance use the 3F you already have.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2022, 11:20:23 PM »
I agree with Taylor, if you find powder buy it at some point the price will go up or it will be unavailable. Recently I bought 10lbs of 3F Swiss and Schutzen I have a lot of 1F and 2F and 3 cans of 4F. I probably have enough for a while but I still look. Back when percussion caps were available I bought whatever I could find and I have both musket caps and #11 and some #10's. I usually buy from Maine Powder House but I have bought from Buffalo Arms and from Hunters Rendezvous in Massachusetts. Hunters was expensive since I went there and picked it up I bought a can of Goex 3F and a can of Goex 4F they were well over $30.00 each.

As far as using 2F or 3F for priming I have had mixed results but I usually have to open my vent up. In the field carrying one horn makes a lot of sense. But I like using 4F rather than the other two and I don't find it hard to carry a priming horn. My priming horn hangs from a lanyard on my neck.
Rob

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2022, 07:01:46 AM »
Decided to just go for larger (for me) order from Graf & Sons

Graf Classic BP 3F 1#
Schuetzen BP 3F 1# and
Schuetzen BP 4F 2#

Have only ever used Goex, but nothing I would use in stock in that.

While waiting for that will try to make a flat priming horn with a push dispensing tip.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2022, 03:54:49 PM »
My priming "horns" with push dispensers are made from hollowed out moose antler tips,  A good sized deer antler tip should work about as well.  They fit the hand well and easily slip into a pocket, and they hold enough 4F for a lot of shots.

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2022, 07:37:08 PM »
There has been no BP or caps for that matter, at all in stores up here for almost two years. But I was at a gun show and a fellow had some FFFg Goex. I bought 2 cans at $55 each. Spendy, but supply and demand. And after talking to him a bit, he produced some musket caps that weren’t out on the table.
There is no way you can order small amounts to ship up here, most companies won’t do it, and the ones that do charge $$$ for Hazmat, etc.
I once needed a 6 ounce can of special carburetor paint, hazmat on it was over $100. I waited a year till someone driving up could bring it.

Offline petejc

• Starting Member
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2022, 07:17:10 AM »
I was out of 4f a few years back ...so I took some 3f and made a little Mortar and Pestle out of wood....no sparks of course and crushed the 3f down to what I thought was 4f consistency.
works too...Probably could make it out of brass also but never tried it.
U.S. Navy 61 to 65, Pa. State Trooper 30 yrs, NRA Life member

Offline Van

• Starting Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2022, 09:28:21 PM »
  Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown, KY sells in store only for both Swiss $31.99 a Lb. and Schuetzen $25.99 a Lb. if you are close to central Kentucky.  You can check online for what is in stock but best to call.  I got 2f and 3f Schuetzen this weekend and they also had both in Swiss.  They are out of Schuetzen on the site today, but Swiss is in stock.  You had to ask at the gun counter, and they go back to storage to get it.  I live a little over an hour away but was glad to find some that close.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 09:32:52 PM by Van »