Author Topic: Gunmakers' Workshop photos  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

Gunmakers' Workshop photos
« on: March 28, 2022, 03:38:59 AM »
Some pictures from last month's Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops gun class taught by Ken Gahagan and me . Two weeks , two different groups. On the whole, class went exceptionally well this year with some really good hardworking students. Lots of different projects being worked on! All guns built from blanks with most students making at least a few small parts, many getting more adventurous! This year we added a "slack day" between the two weeks and had a fun shooting match - I didn't get any good pictures because I was pretty busy shooting and having an awesome time.

Online Stoner creek

Re: Gunmakers' Workshop photos
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 03:47:17 AM »
Congratulations on “Paying it Forward”. Classes like this will keep our lifestyle and traditions alive.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 04:00:53 AM »
Congratulations on “Paying it Forward”. Classes like this will keep our lifestyle and traditions alive.

Thanks! I should have mentioned too that we had three great scholarship students this year - Robert Hill who sometimes posts his knives here on ALR in the accoutrements section was the recipient of the Young Gunbuilder's Scholarship thanks to the combined generosity of the Kentucky Rifle Foundation Muzzleloader Magazine. Robert did a very nice job and I expect we'll see pictures of his rifle before long!  Also, both Clinton Byers and Dave Davis were the recipients of our new Military/ LEO / First Responder scholarship which was sponsored largely by a group of our students along with our friends Dave Rase and Larry Zornes. We were honored to have these guys join the class and we hope to continue this program next year if we're able!     

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 04:02:49 AM »
a few more...

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 04:05:56 AM »

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 04:49:04 AM »
That's really cool stuff. Congratulations to everyone!! Must be a fantastic experience.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 06:32:38 AM »
Ive heard nothing but great things about Robert’s experience at the class. He sure had a wonderful time. We all appreciate the job y’all are doing. Thanks.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 11:50:44 PM »
The class was a great experience and I’m glad to have been a part of it. I’ve been working along on my fowler since I got home. Parts are all fitted and I’ve started shaping the fore stock. Plenty more to do.

David Shotwell

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 01:49:16 AM »
Fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing Ian
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 03:54:32 AM »
Fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing Ian

You are welcome - and all of the photos were taken by our friend and unofficial staff photographer Joe McGee

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 04:55:36 PM »
Looks like some really nice work is being done.  It's great to see so many working hard to learn the craft.

Jim

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 04:38:55 PM »
Looks like some really nice work is being done.  It's great to see so many working hard to learn the craft.

Jim

Thanks Jim , we did have an exceptionally hard working group this time around!
I don' t intend to go off on a tangent here but this is worth mentioning -  I have noticed that the majority of new gunbuilding students in our classes or newcomers who contact me with rifle building questions are interested in " taking the next step" after having built one or more of the higher quality kits, with Kibler kits being mentioned pretty dang frequently. It's nothing new to see this progression from building  kits to attempting more adventurous projects, but what is new is the dramatic shift in numbers and the definite increase overall in new people who are looking for that next step

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 06:35:36 PM »

I have noticed that the majority of new gunbuilding students in our classes or newcomers who contact me with rifle building questions are interested in " taking the next step" after having built one or more of the higher quality kits, with Kibler kits being mentioned pretty dang frequently.

This was totally me. My Kibler Colonial was the gateway drug. It also has been very helpful to refer back to it as I'm finishing up stock shaping on my gun from class at home. Such as how to shape the lock panels and other transition points.
David Shotwell

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 06:50:31 PM »

Jim

Thanks Jim , we did have an exceptionally hard working group this time around!
I don' t intend to go off on a tangent here but this is worth mentioning -  I have noticed that the majority of new gunbuilding students in our classes or newcomers who contact me with rifle building questions are interested in " taking the next step" after having built one or more of the higher quality kits, with Kibler kits being mentioned pretty dang frequently. It's nothing new to see this progression from building  kits to attempting more adventurous projects, but what is new is the dramatic shift in numbers and the definite increase overall in new people who are looking for that next step

I always thought the dreaded CNC machining of kits would actually help the interest in longrifle building/shooting rather than hindering it. I also expect that further down the road some of those bitten by the bug will be buying original guns! First thing is to get them interested then many will develope an interest in the history of original guns and the men that made them.
Grest news,
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2022, 07:03:37 PM »
My Kibler Colonial was the gateway drug.

Ah, gunbuilding...abandon all hope, ye who enter here...   

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2022, 07:23:28 PM »

I always thought the dreaded CNC machining of kits would actually help the interest in longrifle building/shooting rather than hindering it. I also expect that further down the road some of those bitten by the bug will be buying original guns! First thing is to get them interested then many will develope an interest in the history of original guns and the men that made them.
Grest news,
Dennis

Dennis I suspected the same and it's already proving to be true. I think that many newcomers are satisfied with being able to put together a nice kit gun or two and that's where it ends - and nothing wrong with that. But for some you can already see it leading to the interests you mentioned. Embrace the evolution !

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2022, 08:09:15 PM »

Grest news,
Dennis

Dennis I suspected the same and it's already proving to be true. I think that many newcomers are satisfied with being able to put together a nice kit gun or two and that's where it ends - and nothing wrong with that. But for some you can already see it leading to the interests you mentioned. Embrace the evolution !

There where "some" that suggested CNC was from the devil himself and would be the END of all things good and wholesome in muzzleloaders.
   Turns out putting a real 3D premium architecture shootable rifle in the hands of youth or Any person new (is better than looking at a photo of an old rifle) an is proving a gateway to persue excellence and a desire to go to the next level and even be inspired to persue learning true hands on Craftmanship, by traveling toward the next level.
   Interesting how things Actually play out.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2022, 09:15:41 PM »
Thanks for recognizing that our business might be having a positive effect on traditional muzzleloading building.  I am certain of one thing...  We have expanded the number of people who are interested in traditional high-quality muzzleloading rifles.  Probaby more than anyone else has in a very long time...   In some circles, there hasn't been much appreciation for this fact.  Some people get stuck in their ways of thinking and doing things and don't seem to understand how to move forward. 

We certainly have a business to run in a profitable manner, but it's also nice to know that we're making a positive contribution as well.

I spent years trudging away at a bench, often for very little money learning how to build longrifles.  I still have an appreciation for this and have been getting a little bit of an itch to make some custom guns someday again.

Thanks again for sharing the photos of all the nice work being done. 

Jim

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2022, 10:11:18 PM »
I have been working along with my rifle slowly because I am still in school, but here are some pictures. -Robert

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2022, 12:26:26 AM »
I have been working along with my rifle slowly because I am still in school, but here are some pictures. -Robert

Robert,
Hope you bring that one to the TN show, would like to see it in person. Have the PG knife you made all ready for Marc to make a sheath for it but first I have to decide on what it should look like.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2022, 12:36:23 AM »
Mr. Dennis,
I do hope to have this rifle ready for the Tennessee show even if it isn’t I will probably still bring it and I can’t wait to see how the knife turned out with the handle finished.
-Robert

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2022, 05:57:07 PM »
Dave and Robert both your guns are looking great!

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2022, 02:45:01 AM »
Thanks Ian. I’ll probably be sending a few pics your way as I get things shaped.
David Shotwell