Author Topic: Jaeger lock  (Read 1833 times)

Offline hawkeye

Jaeger lock
« on: March 28, 2022, 02:27:21 PM »
My question..... Is the Davis Jaeger lock a good and a fast lock??? Are there better options?
Hawkeye

Offline Ron Scott

Re: Jaeger lock
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 04:25:44 PM »
I won't comment of the quality of the Davis Lock. It, however is not authentic in style . If you want superb function and absolute authenticity, contact Chris Laubach for one of his.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 04:29:29 PM »
The big long jaeger lock from Davis was a Peter Allen lock available way back in the 1970s. It’s got a lot of banana shape which requires some planning of wrist layout. The very long mainspring needs a good mainspring vise with a long arm to compress it. I used it once around 1980. It wasn’t fast but was reliable.
Andover, Vermont

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 04:40:59 PM »

No it is not as fast as a Bailes lock, But like Rich says it is very dependable and easy on flints. I have had no issues with mine. It does have a very long and strong Mainspring.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 05:14:30 PM »

No it is not as fast as a Bailes lock, But like Rich says it is very dependable and easy on flints. I have had no issues with mine. It does have a very long and strong Mainspring.
That is a freest use of the lock. It’s harder to use on a longrifle unless there is a stepped wrist. I have poor pictures of an original Hudson Valley fowler with a bear-identical lock.
Andover, Vermont

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 05:32:03 PM »

Found this one in auction, that's the reason i'm asking

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 06:28:48 PM »
I have used them on Hudson Valley fowling guns. I round off the plate and cock. I had one on my own personal gun I shot for 8 years. I found it fast and dependable.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 06:30:36 PM »
I have had one on my T. Pistor style Jaeger since 1983 and it has won a lot of matches and killed a big bear and more deer than any rifle I have ever owned. So that says it must be fast and dependable enough to get the job done! No brag, just fact! !  ;)
Tom C.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 07:18:47 PM »
I have one on my short Jaeger and it's accompanied me on my jaunts afield since 1989.  As with Tom, I've had a lot of success with it so no complaints on its functionality. 

Dan Akers

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 08:07:26 PM »
I've only ever used one of those Davis Jaeger locks, and it served me splendidly for dozens of years.  I mated it with a Don Getz .60 cal x 31" bbl and that rifle was my go to rendezvous and hunting rifle until I gave it to a guide and outfitter for whom I worked several years ago.  I killed many black bears, mule deer, and moose with that rifle.  the lock was fast, and completely reliable.  But I will add, I rotated the tumbler a few degrees to get the flint closer to the pan, by heating it bright red and twisting it forward.  Regarding the lock's inards, the mainspring concerned me because of the big bow the lower leaf took at full cock, but it never let me down.  I have a Chambers' jaeger lock in my lock drawer, in case I want to build another jaeger.

image upload
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 08:48:44 PM »
Other angles on Taylor's lock:

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline tecum-tha

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 03:08:20 AM »
Got it on my take down Jaeger rifle and it functions well.
Historical accuracy is hard to tell, depending on what time period this lock is from or if the form of the lockplate was altered for production.
I only partly agree with Ron as to past 1730ies, this lock bananas a bit too much and is generally too large.
But 1690-1720 the locks appear to be bending down somewhat more. They also tend to be mostly round faced earlier, at least from what rifles are still on the market from back then.
But without knowing the rifle the castings came from and the date of the rifle, it is extremely hard to tell.
I agree though, that it is not appropriate for some of the Jaeger rifles, especially American Revolution period rifles.
https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_A__RARE_HESSIAN_FLINTLOCK_MILITARY_JAEGER_RIFLE_B-LOT512637.aspx
I think the Davis lock came from a high baroque rifle around 1690-1720 without a round face.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 05:58:05 PM by tecum-tha »

Offline utseabee

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 03:26:47 AM »
I won't comment of the quality of the Davis Lock. It, however is not authentic in style . If you want superb function and absolute authenticity, contact Chris Laubach for one of his.

I second the the choice of a Chris Laubach lock. It is really fast for it's size and sparks extremely well. IMHO it is the best lock out there.
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2022, 05:30:48 PM »
I used one on a composite fowling gun. I modified the plate/pan/frizzen and used their "continental cock" so it looks a bit different but the internals are unchanged.  I wanted a lock that did not look like everyone else's. Works fine.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 08:18:47 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2022, 05:40:38 PM »
I used one on a composite fowling gun. I modified the plate/pan/frizzen and used their "continental cock" so it looks a bit different but the internals are unchanged.  Works fine.

Good application for this lock.
Andover, Vermont