Author Topic: Anyone know who may have made this lock?  (Read 998 times)

Offline Wolfeknives

Anyone know who may have made this lock?
« on: March 28, 2022, 04:34:58 PM »
I purchased this lock about 6 years ago with no particular plans for it. The parts seem to be nicely made. Whoever assembled or re-assembled the lock did do a sloppy job. I will do some work on this to set things right. It would be good to hear some opinions on this lock before I put too much effort into cleaning it up.
It is a large lock at 5 5/8" long. The only mark is a "5" on the reverse.

Offline rick/pa

Re: Anyone know who may have made this lock?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 04:41:53 PM »
Judging by the picture in the TOW catalog #18 its a John Twigg lock made by R.E. Davis for TOW.  Page 157.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 04:48:31 PM by rick/pa »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 04:48:24 PM »
Looks like the R.E.Davis Twigg lock. Good looking externals but a not so good mechanism due to weak mainsprings.Not long after I joined this forum I made 14 of these with the external parts but a mechanism for a shooter with the bridle on 3 posts and close fitting parts.
If this one has a strong mainspring it may be a late one and may be a good performer.
Bob Roller

Offline Wolfeknives

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 06:03:34 PM »
Yes, it sure looks like that is it. The main spring seems to be very strong, so it may be fine. I will give it a quick go over and then give it a try for function. Thank you so much for the help.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 08:52:05 PM »
Hi Wolf!  I've used two of these locks over the years.  The first went into a 20 gauge fowling piece and without modification threw sparks like a cutting torch!  So when I had the opportunity to buy a bag of parts to make up the lock again, I went for it.  And once the lock was assembled, I was enormously disappointed in its ability to throw sparks.  It didn't spark at all.  I rehardened and tempered the frizzen with every method I know, and still, it was a dud.  So I sent it to Bob Roller and he rebuilt it with his own guts.  Bob's mainspring was much stiffer than the original, and the lock was marginally better as far a sparks is concered, but no barn burner by any means.  So I called up Larry Zornes from the Mold and Gun Shop, as he is the guru for Davis locks, and he said to send it down to him.  It came back in very quick order, with a note to give him a call.  And I did.  He told me that the frizzen on this lock was junk and he had replaced it on warrantee, in spite of the complete rebuild, and no charge.  Now the lock functions fine and I shall be using it in the next couple of weeks.
To better describe how concerned I was about this lock, I took it to Dixon's Gunmaker's Fair in 2009 knowing that Davis would have their representative there, to discuss it with them.  I can't remember the fellow at the table, think his name was Tim, and he agreed that the mainspring was too whippy and thin.  He took the mainspring out of the demo lock he had in his display and installed it in my lock, but it didn't make any difference.  I think it was Tim that recommended I speak with Larry Zornes.
So I've had 100 % satisfaction and 100% disappointment with this lock.  I'd guess your chances will be 50/50, but let me know how it works once you clean it up and rectify the issues you perceive.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 08:56:52 PM »
Taylor,
It's been a while since I made that mechanism.How is it doing? I planned to make 10 of these and bought the parts from Tim Tresell who then owned R.E,Davis as a DBA.I made 14 with the last one going to South Africa.

Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 09:50:41 PM »
Other than being cycled a couple hundred times just to watch the sparks dance around in the pan, it is unused.  But it is still silky smooth and crisp...lovely lock.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.