Author Topic: Advice please: Kibler stock drop and fit for tall shooters?  (Read 3558 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Advice please: Kibler stock drop and fit for tall shooters?
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2022, 05:00:25 PM »
I understand that stock fit can be an issue, but at the same time it can be an obsession for some.  Sometimes your mind can create problems or potential problems without there ever being one in the first place.

Jim

Offline DavidC

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2022, 07:45:59 PM »
6'2" is a pretty average height and Kibler makes rifles that human beings can shoot so... No, stock fit shouldn't be an issue. Just know your length of pull when you order and you're fine.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2022, 10:19:09 PM »
Placement of your shoulder is variable, learnable and repeatable, making stocks fit that seemingly were too short. Stocks that are too long,  create more problems than stocks that are
seemingly too short.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

msquared

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2022, 11:11:52 PM »
6'2" is a pretty average height

That brings up an interesting point:  That the average height was much less 250 years ago when most longrifles were originally designed.  It's pretty amazing that we adapt as well as we do!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 11:48:02 PM by msquared »

Offline tecum-tha

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2022, 11:28:01 PM »
@Daryl: Cost me 2k to find that out,lol. Especially for hunting.

Offline JHeath

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2022, 12:27:27 AM »
The fixation on stock fit, LOP, drop, etc seems to be a British thing carried over from shotgunning, where it is important.

English Sporting Rifles from 1810 or 1820 seem to look pretty much like their fowlers. Flat buttplates, single triggers, similar lines, etc. As though snap shooting was the purpose of a rifle.

American rifles from 1810 or 1820 have wicked crescent plates, double set triggers, long sight radius. As though precision were the point of a rifle at the expense of snap shooting.

And it’s funny how that remains true. London rifles emphasize stock fit and being tailored to mount quickly, I guess to face tigers and elephants from 10 yards. That’s all that matters. Americans are fine adapting to an off-the-shelf stock but want tech features to hit an elk’s ear-hole at 600yds. Completely different priorities.

Offline G_T

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2022, 01:03:42 AM »
Well, speaking as someone with a giraffe neck, and who wears glasses, I end up with a stiff neck and headache if I shoot most any normal stock standing for more than a shot or two. That's part of what got me interested in muzzleloaders in the first place - they had more drop. So not as much of an issue for me. That said, if I shoulder a K. SMR on the upper arm and stand upright, rifle across the body like in the video, and don't crane my neck, the barrel is below my nose, even with my right arm up. I raise the shoulder more and crane my neck a little, to make it work. That's much better than most rifles are for me. My neck isn't 100% which also doesn't help.

Jim made a fine rifle that likely fits most people pretty well. Don't take anything I'm saying as complaining! I'm not. I'm pleased with mine. But I respectfully don't agree with the one size fits all camp. Heck, I'd hate to be the person with no neck trying to shoot an SMR buttplate rifle with too much drop! That's what most people would find of a rifle that fits me comfortably.

Gerald

msquared

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2022, 03:52:55 AM »
Well, speaking as someone with a giraffe neck, and who wears glasses, I end up with a stiff neck and headache if I shoot most any normal stock standing for more than a shot or two. That's part of what got me interested in muzzleloaders in the first place - they had more drop. So not as much of an issue for me. That said, if I shoulder a K. SMR on the upper arm and stand upright, rifle across the body like in the video, and don't crane my neck, the barrel is below my nose, even with my right arm up. I raise the shoulder more and crane my neck a little, to make it work. That's much better than most rifles are for me. My neck isn't 100% which also doesn't help.

Jim made a fine rifle that likely fits most people pretty well. Don't take anything I'm saying as complaining! I'm not. I'm pleased with mine. But I respectfully don't agree with the one size fits all camp. Heck, I'd hate to be the person with no neck trying to shoot an SMR buttplate rifle with too much drop! That's what most people would find of a rifle that fits me comfortably.

Gerald

Thank you for sharing.  It's good to know that. I'm not the only one who deals with this.  I envy those who can shoot anything well.   As you said, it is in no way, shape, or form a criticism or complaint about anyone's products.  I'm a huge admirer of what Jim has accomplished and his ingenuity, energy and integrity. I would LOVE to build more than one of the Kibler kits.      Obsession or fixation with fit?  Elephants and tigers?  Oh my!  Heck no!   I was just wondering if I'll be able to see the sights without hurting my long, old neck.

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2022, 02:06:55 PM »
Shotguns and rifles two different animals. An old gentleman told me once that you needed to be able to get a shotgun on your target fast and you needed to be able to keep a rifle on your target.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2022, 05:23:30 PM »
  Try jump shooting rabbits or deer with a gun that you  have to look for the sights ?  Once my cheek hits the  cheek piece I want my sights online with the target.   Just my opinion...