Author Topic: A question of barrel finishes  (Read 1011 times)

Offline bptactical

A question of barrel finishes
« on: March 29, 2022, 05:16:43 PM »
Disclaimer- my ML interest is primarily in the "Plains Rifle" genre'.
When I got into muzzleloading at the tender age of 13 it was at the peak of the revival movement- 1974ish and everybody said "Oh it has to have a browned barrel or it just aint right".

Do we know for a fact that browned barrels were the normal finish or do we have an accurate basis to make this statement?
Is the browning we see on original examples the true finish or is a progression due to age, wear, rust etc from the original finish?
If so, what was the original finish?
Blue of some type?
Raw?

Discuss in a civil manner.
The most important thing to be learned from those who demand “Equality For All” is that all are not equal

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: A question of barrel finishes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 05:39:36 PM »
When I got into muzzleloading at the tender age of 13 it was at the peak of the revival movement- 1974ish and everybody said "Oh it has to have a browned barrel or it just aint right".

Do we know for a fact that browned barrels were the normal finish or do we have an accurate basis to make this statement?
Is the browning we see on original examples the true finish or is a progression due to age, wear, rust etc from the original finish?
Blue of some type?
Raw?

The questions you asked are good ones but cannot be answered in absolutes. “Sometimes” is a good answer to most of your questions. Timeframe and place change the answers to the questions. What timeframe and place interest you most?  If plains rifles, I’ve seen originals where it appears the barrels were browned from the get-go. I conclude this because I see consistent brown on top, side, and bottom flats. I worked on a Leman barrel that was probably delivered bright. No brown on the flats in the stock; only those exposed. The bore was a mess inside. I estimate it saw hard use for 50 years, enough to rust brown all exposed iron.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 08:49:04 PM »
sounds about right for that period)

no, we do not know that nor is there an accurate basis for that statement

many barrels were finished in the white, many guns ordered from the Western Gun Stores were ordered browned or blued

brown, rust blued, white

Blue of some type?
rust blued

Raw?
in the white, unfinished

Of course, this is my opinion & observations of "works" written on the subject here and elsewhere.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 10:07:53 PM »
It wasn't a plains rifle but I owned an original 1803 Harper's Ferry rifle that on the outside it was what I called "handled brown" brown from use that is. When I took the barrel out the underside was bright. As a whole it was in pretty good condition with a little wood shrinkage........I wish I still had that rifle!
Rob