Author Topic: Dyer's Moc Dressing as Patch Lube  (Read 715 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Dyer's Moc Dressing as Patch Lube
« on: March 29, 2022, 07:21:28 PM »
I was greasing up some leather goods about a week ago with the dressing that Dyers sells with their mocs & wondered what was in it. I emailed them & was informed that it only contained mink oil & bees wax. No petroleum or other products, so I tried it as a patch lube last weekend. I took 5 shots with Mr. FIintlock from a rest at 25yds without cleaning, cleaned afterwards & took another 5 shots with the Dyers dressing. All shots went into the same tight group without any loading problems & only minor increased fouling. This will come as no surprise to those of you who make similar concoctions at home, however I thought that it was noteworthy enough to mention. I'll do some further testing at increased range if anyone is interested. Barrel was a .45 Goodoien & load was 65grs Goex. .445 ball, & 7oz (.022) denim patch. No cleaning between shots, only between groups.
Roger B
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Daryl

Re: Dyer's Moc Dressing as Patch Lube
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 09:04:51 PM »
Should work just fine. Now I know some have stated not to mix BW in a patch lube, but BW in my bullet lubes does not build up inside the bore. The load Roger used will clean the last shot down onto the powder as it is loaded, just the same as it would with any lube.
I have seen tins of Mink Oil at a local Princess Auto store for sale, but there is not a list of 'components' on the tin, so I refrained from buying it. I might check it out again.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 10:39:54 PM »
Just about anything can work. I’ve used sunscreen in a pinch. The creamy kind.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 01:19:03 AM »
Some of our guys were using Vasaline Intensive Care hand cream back in the last century, with great results.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 03:01:57 PM »
And so will Udder Balm and Udderly Smooth.

J.B.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 05:32:49 PM »
Roger B, Can you post contact information for Dyer’s? Thanks, Jerry