Author Topic: Accoutrement Workshops and More  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

Accoutrement Workshops and More
« on: March 30, 2022, 11:49:21 PM »
Speaking of accoutrements... this Spring we'll once again be holding the annual Traditional Skills Weekend at Canter's Cave in Jackson, Ohio. We are offering a good variety of classes, and our instructors will be teaching hand working skills that range from from ancient to early American. A couple of the accoutrement making classes have already filled (Folding Knife with Steve Auvenshine, Knife Forging with Rich Mcdonald) but there are still a few spots available in the classes listed below. First timers or those with experience will be welcome in any of the following classes....

Hunting Pouch with Maryellen Pratt - May 14-15 (only one spot left) Make a hand stitched hunting pouch or haversack, loaner tools provided. Note - we have a scholarship to the hunting pouch class this year for nurses which pays the full cost of the class including onsite meals and lodging. If you are a nurse (active or retired) please contact us through the SOAW website for information on how to apply!

Fire Steel Forging with Ian Pratt -  either May 12 OR 13, can be taken as a one day class or added to one of the 2 or 3 day classes for a bit cheaper daily rate. Loaner tools provided

Bowmaking with Matt Weatherholtz - May 13-15  Make your own long bow from a stave and a 2 ply Flemish twist bowstring. Class was very popular last year and filled quickly.. Loaner tools provided

Flintknapping with Johnny Faulkner  - May 13-15  Learn a variety of aboriginal and modern techniques to create your own flint points. Loaner tools provided

New for 2022 - Calligraphy and Penmanship with Lindsey Ludwig  - May 13   Learn the basics of Gothic Calligraphy and Penmanship. Another one day class which can be taken alone or as an add-on for one of the 2 or 3 day classes. Take home tool kit provided.

All of the class prices on the website include the cost of onsite meals and lodging. Class information is available on the SOAW website at https://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/

Offline Frozen Run

Re: Accoutrement Workshops and More
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 06:58:46 AM »
Adding the calligraphy class is a very clever idea. I love that sort of thinking outside the box and I hope it is very successful for everyone involved. 

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 06:20:21 PM »
Thanks! The idea for the penmanship class was suggested by our friend Ken Wood after last year's classes. This is our second year with this event and we're hoping to continue to expand the offerings each year. I have plans to add an either two or three day group of classes specifically for first timers - there seems to be a whole new crop of people who've not had much experience with hand tools or making things, but they're definitely interested in learning how. And of course we'll continue to offer more advanced classes too.

I am pretty sure the fire steel forging class on the 12th is now full, a little room left on the 13th.  As long as the weather is favorable we'll be having the class at one of the rock shelters or waterfalls along one of the trails. Short hike in the morning and we'll get our fire going and get to work! I do have a backup location in case we get rained out , but hopefully that won't happen. Going to be a fun one!

Happy to answer any questions here or you can send a request through the website - https://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 03:51:15 AM »
Nice looking self bow ! Is that Osage ?

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 03:54:50 PM »
I bet it is but can't say for sure. That photo is of Matt Weatherholtz who will be teaching the bowmaking  class. I think he generally brings osage or hickory staves for class use.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 05:39:19 AM »
Update - a few spots open in the bowmaking and calligraphy/penmanship classes. Beginners welcome!

Bowmaking with Matt Weatherholtz - May 13-15  Make your own long bow from a stave and a 2 ply Flemish twist bowstring. Class was very popular last year and filled quickly.. Loaner tools provided

Calligraphy and Penmanship with Lindsey Ludwig  - May 13   Learn the basics of Gothic Calligraphy and Penmanship. Take home tool kit provided.

All of the class prices on the website include the cost of onsite meals and lodging. Class information is available on the SOAW website at www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com

« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 05:55:11 AM by Ian Pratt »