Author Topic: Source for powder measure that attaches to a horn.  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Chocktaw Brave

Source for powder measure that attaches to a horn.
« on: April 27, 2022, 12:11:21 AM »
Many years ago I had a Powderhorn with a spring-loaded thumb valve. The valve went into the horn, other end threaded. You could change the tube for whatever quantity powder charge you wanted. Does anybody still sell these?

Offline LynnC

Re: Source for powder measure that attaches to a horn.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 02:16:44 AM »
For safety reasons I would not recommend any measure attached to the horn itself. Nothing wrong with some kind of valve, just use a separate powder measure.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 08:14:50 AM »
So, period correct? How did they do it back in the day? Especially during a battle, i can’t see Them taking the time to fill a separate  powder measure each time. I do like the idea of using premade paper cartridges for my musket though.
I made the one I used during the 80’s from parts I found. Just seemed much easier to use.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 08:21:59 PM »

In my life, I have rarely found that "easy" equates to "best".  I would say "safety first".   We are not in combat any more with longrifles.  How someone did it in an emergency in combat really isn't relevant to us today.

For rifles or guns I always use a separate measure.  A measure attached to a horn raises the possibility of a hand grenade in one's hand.  I want to retain my digits and eyes. 

I don't think you will find anyone who will agree with justifying something unsafe.

Marc

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 10:24:53 PM »
What Marcruger said. He is wise and knowledgeable.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 11:09:59 PM »
Choctaw Brave. Good after noon Sir. Please list me in the safety column. A separate powder measure is the best way to go. Have a good day. AJ.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 02:33:51 AM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline ScottH

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 01:55:15 AM »
The near universality of integrated chargers and measures on 19th century flasks seems to me to argue against this configuration being even a very small hazard. European, English and American makers all sold these. Admittedly my muzzleloading experience is limited, but I have never heard nor read about an entire flask full of black powder exploding from the practice of using a flask with a measure attached to the charger.

Any credible stories out there of this happening or of a measure-only charge igniting when being poured down a barrel? I also note that there have been more than a few posts by folks on this forum that have shown pictures of their hunting gear that are using these as part of their wonderful period Continental or English set ups, including me.

Just curious.
Dennis

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 08:55:18 PM »
The only horn 'ignition' I have heard/read about was a horn with a large opening, not plugged before firing the rifle. Somehow, a spark got into the horn's opening when the gun was
fired and made a trip around the guy's body, on it's strap, the jet of flame out the spout caused it and the horn did not actually burst.
This was back in the 80's, seems to me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 10:20:05 PM »
The Medina Hawken on display in Glorieta NM has the hunting bag with horn also on display IIRC and that horn has the valve with what might be an extension on the end.

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 11:10:29 PM »
Okay then, how about showing a picture of a 1700-1800's powder horn (not a flask) with a charger on the end of it? Besides being ugly on horns they are not period correct and serve no real purpose, and you have no idea if the charge was accurate or not.
This is just my humble opinion, do what you want.
Hello, Mike. I understand folk's desire to hew to period accessories but that is unrelated to the discussion of safety.

Although also unrelated to safety I would like to say that the French, Czech and English chargers that I use are quite accurate and I imagine on a par with a separate measure's ability to deliver consistent charges. Integrated measures do serve a purpose in that the measure can't be lost and they facilitate more rapid reloading.
Dennis
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 11:52:25 PM by Dennis Daigger »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 02:17:34 AM »
 Well, just for starters most shooting events won’t let you use a horn mounted charging valve. I’ve seen a horn blow up, and a priming horn blow up. And am terrified of those priming horns with the push type valve. But at least they only have a relatively small amount of powder. Basically a horn with a valve on it is a bomb.

Hungry Horse

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 03:04:46 AM »
As far as accuracy goes I think they would be just as accurate as any powder measure. After you shut off the valve, you tip it up and if the powder is level with the top of the tube then it is a full charge. But that being said then pouring that into the barrel In very rare cases could ignite that powder. I did it for many years and never had that issue, or never Even thought about it, or saw it happen . Could it happen, yes It could.
But even if I transfer it to another tube, I would still like the ease of measuring directly off the powder horn as it can be done with one hand.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 03:56:48 AM »
This is mine, but it is my shot measure, not powder, although at one time I used it with powder.
I never had it discharge, obviously. Of course the loads I was using with it, was .030" wet patch with water based or Mink Oil
 and .682" ball in a .690" bore.
With these, there is ZERO chance that there is a burning ember left in the bore - ZERO.  Thumb started combinations are just
looking for just such an accident though, as-in leaving a smoldering ember of cloth, in the bore, to ignite powder poured in. Of
course SWABBBBBING should extinguish that quite well. I did see one go off just as the fellow thumb-started the next patched
ball. Burned his hand quite badly.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 06:34:03 PM »
Gentlemen, you can add a valve/measure to your horn and still remain safe... Simply tip the horn, push the plunger on the valve to fill your spout, then dump the charge into a separate measure to tip down the barrel.

Yes, it still requires a separate measure. But it doesn't have to be a precise measure like when you dispense from a regular horn.

As for loading a rifle in a line of battle... How many volleys were there in an engagement before a bayonet charge?

I would surmise that the patch may have been thin to expedite loading... Or perhaps the patch was just skipped entirely and a bare ball/wad were loaded like a musket. Now if I were hiding in the brush and sniping redcoats, then the usual de rigueur would have been followed.

Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2022, 10:57:37 PM »
"But even if I transfer it to another tube, I would still like the ease of measuring directly off the powder horn as it can be done with one hand."

I was shooting today, and using a Treso brass flask with valve to pour the powder into my measure.  I can see your point above.  I use a flask at the range often for convenience, or a horn.  Depends on my mood.  But I always feel safe(r) when pouring from my measure into the bore.  Less to go up if something goes sideways on me. 

Dennis, I have never really considered the period flasks, and why folks went to that versus a horn and measure.  Something to ponder.  I would guess that flasks versus horns were due to the industrial revolution and ease of manufacture.  A measuring spout versus a measure?   You've got me on that.   

God Bless,   Marc

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 11:16:40 PM »
I have several of those brass powder flask's of different sizes, use at the range and small ones when hunting. I cut the tube off to about an inch long so as to fit them in the range box or hunting bag easier. I always use a separate powder measure.