Author Topic: Where to get Hoppes #9 PLUS  (Read 2062 times)

Offline kyridgerunner

Where to get Hoppes #9 PLUS
« on: April 03, 2022, 07:43:29 PM »
I see a lot of top shooters are using Hoppes #9 Plus as a patch lube. I can't seem to find any for sale. Amazon doesn't have it, my local gun shop doesn't and Basspro here doesn't stock it. There's lots of Hoppes #9 advertised as "Plus",  both the ones labeled for black powder and the regular stuff in the yellow bottles. Is this one and the same even though the bottle doesn't say Plus. The only Hoppes I found that actually says #9 PLUS comes in a black bottle, not yellow.

Which one is the "right stuff" and where can I buy it online?

Thanks

Offline Daryl

Re: Where to get Hoppes #9 PLUS
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 08:51:29 PM »
Hoppe's #9 PLUS was what it used to be called.  I did not find a listing for a black powder cleaning agent or solvent/patch lube now, on Hoppe's web site.
Hornady has a BP solvent in a yellow bottle, which should work fine as a lubricant for TARGET shooting, not for hunting.
Mr. Flintlock's Lube works, as does Track's Mink Oil, Neetsfoot Oil and many concoctions people have dreamed up.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 02:06:02 AM »
Daryl,

On Amazon I found #9 Black Powder Bore Cleaner and Patch Solvent. On Ebay I found a bottle of #9 PLUS Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lubricate. Note the difference in what they are called. So Hoppe's does make this BP stuff, both the #9 PLUS and regular cleaner/solvent/patch lube. It does not make one bit of difference to me. Do you recommend the regular #9 stuff as patch lube for target work?  If so that's good enough for me.

Thanks again.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 02:07:15 AM »
You might try The Log Cabin Shop, Muzzleloaders Builders Supply or Track of the Wolf.

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 03:48:34 AM »
I found the Hoppe's #9 PLUS Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lubricant on this site:  https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/
The #9 Black Power Cleaning and Patch Lubricant can be found on Amazon ( it's not the PLUS)
Strangely there are no BP cleaning solvents listed on Hoppe's website. Maybe they discontinued that line.
I looked at the MSDS on Hoppe's website for the #9 Plus, 999, 99 and others. Some very nasty ingredients in that bottle. Not sure I want to use any of that stuff anymore. There's a bunch of much safer options available. If you took a swig of that stuff you'd surely die.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 04:08:15 AM »
Daryl,

On Amazon I found #9 Black Powder Bore Cleaner and Patch Solvent. On Ebay I found a bottle of #9 PLUS Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lubricate. Note the difference in what they are called. So Hoppe's does make this BP stuff, both the #9 PLUS and regular cleaner/solvent/patch lube. It does not make one bit of difference to me. Do you recommend the regular #9 stuff as patch lube for target work?  If so that's good enough for me.

Thanks again.

The regular Hoppe's #9 SOLVENT is NITRO POWDER SOLVENT.  It is not BP solvent.
Only bottles labeled Hoppe's #9 PLUS are black powder solvent and/or patch lubricant, or BP Solvent or patch lube are for Black Powder guns.
I recall reading somewhere, that Hoppe's were making the black powder solvent but no longer called it Hoppe's #9 PLUS.
If you have something they call black powder solvent - then have at it or used something else which is likely as good or maybe even better.
There are many concoctions that work & you know what, saliva, in my meager experience of shooting these guns since 1972 (50years), tens of thousands of shots
works as well for target shooting, as anything else I have EVER used.  What I've also learned is that tight or snug loads shoot more accurately than do loose loads.
If loose loads shot as well, then the top shooters in the world would use them - they don't.  Most of those shooters use balls larger than the bore AND patches .020"
 or thicker yet & are Teflon lubricated.  They also take all day (or hours) to fire 20 shots.
Daryl

Offline Ezra

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 06:05:50 AM »
I use Ballistol and water.  1:3.  No issues.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 03:51:17 PM »
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just stick to what I've been using rather then, once again, trying to reinvent my shooting. Good ole spit patches being at the top of the list. I'm with Daryl on using tight loads. Bore diameter balls and .020 patches have always been the most accurate for me whether shooting bench or offhand.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 05:21:59 PM »
I have tried both the Hoppe's Blackpowder Lube & Cleaner, as well the Hoppe's BP Cleaner.  Two separate products, and I think one replaced the other.  Both are super "owl snot" slippery, and the easiest to load of any product I have tried.  Wet lubing with these two results in good accuracy as well.  You can order the BP Cleaner on Amazon and other on-line places. 

I was warned off of using Hoppe's #9 Bore Cleaner (the old, original good unmentionables bore cleaner).  Apparently it is not a good idea in a bore's combustible environment.  I have stayed away from using it as patch lube.  I see some other who do use it however. 

The only thing I would say is that like most lubes, you'll need some old LVL or Mr Flintlock to get the graphite out of the bore.....if that matters to you.  Our late friend Bill Knight cleared that up for me when I was having problems with graphite.

God Bless,   Marc

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 07:32:38 PM »
Our late friend Bill Knight cleared that up for me when I was having problems with graphite.

God Bless,   Marc

Our LATE friend Bill Kinght??
Has Bill passed on?  It seems but a short time ago that we were exchanging emails.  Sad day!  My condolences to Bills family.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 07:40:42 PM »
I have tried both the Hoppe's Blackpowder Lube & Cleaner, as well the Hoppe's BP Cleaner.  Two separate products, and I think one replaced the other.  Both are super "owl snot" slippery, and the easiest to load of any product I have tried.  Wet lubing with these two results in good accuracy as well.  You can order the BP Cleaner on Amazon and other on-line places. 

I was warned off of using Hoppe's #9 Bore Cleaner (the old, original good unmentionables bore cleaner).  Apparently it is not a good idea in a bore's combustible environment.  I have stayed away from using it as patch lube.  I see some other who do use it however. 

The only thing I would say is that like most lubes, you'll need some old LVL or Mr Flintlock to get the graphite out of the bore.....if that matters to you.  Our late friend Bill Knight cleared that up for me when I was having problems with graphite.

God Bless,   Marc

I am told that the original, much loved, Hoppe's #9 solvent for cleaning unmentionables is kerosene. The unique smell supposedly comes from the addition of banana oil.

I have no way of verifying that. But it smells like that's what it is.

Mike

Jim Evans

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 01:12:45 AM »
I see a lot of top shooters are using Hoppes #9 Plus as a patch lube. I can't seem to find any for sale. Amazon doesn't have it, my local gun shop doesn't and Basspro here doesn't stock it. There's lots of Hoppes #9 advertised as "Plus",  both the ones labeled for black powder and the regular stuff in the yellow bottles. Is this one and the same even though the bottle doesn't say Plus. The only Hoppes I found that actually says #9 PLUS comes in a black bottle, not yellow.

Which one is the "right stuff" and where can I buy it online?

Thanks

If this is what you mean you can order from Walmart or Amazon
There is no Plus on the label , so search for it without the plus and it comes up.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 01:18:50 AM by Jim Evans »

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 01:25:14 AM »
I use the Hoppes #9 patch lube and cleaner pictured in the post above none of the bottles I have say plus but it is a very good patch lube and I do a quick clean with it before leaving the range.

Offline Marvin S

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 08:01:14 PM »
It used to say plus below the 9 IIRC. New bottle same stuff.

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2022, 03:16:41 AM »
Thanks to all that responded. Looks like I don't need to find the Plus stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2022, 06:25:13 AM »
Any Hoppe's #9 Plus you find, will be old stock - that's just the way it is. Obviously, it is not made any more
or it would be listed on Hoppe's web site.  If you find some, it probably will work just fine, as it always has
but likely no better than what they sell for the same job, today.
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2022, 10:14:01 PM »
I have relied on Hoppes BP patch Lube for decades.  If it's been discontinued it's a shame.  Nothing I've ever tried worked as well as Hoppes.  I have a few yellow label bottles of patch lube and the bore cleaner.  The formula has been changed at least three times over the years but the quality has not.  Years ago I bought this drum of Hoppes but have not seen one since.  It's all used up, sadly.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2022, 12:25:11 AM »
In the 90's some BR shooters in the States were using Hoppe's #9 Plus for removing carbon, AFTER they were finished with the "other" solvents.
Daryl