Author Topic: Stock shaping and inletting  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Scotts180

• Starting Member
Stock shaping and inletting
« on: April 03, 2022, 11:34:21 PM »
Wondering which companies/people do stock shaping, barrel and ramrod inletting.  I have a nice maple blank and would like to shape to a SMR style.  Found one company but felt it was too costly to justify. 
Thanks for any advice.

Scott

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Stock shaping and inletting
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 11:39:59 PM »
I have used Knob Mt., Dave Keck for barrel and ramrod inleting several times. He bought out Fred Miller IIRC and between the two they have many stock styles to chose from if you want more than barrel and RR hole/grove done.

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 12:42:48 AM »
I will add another recommendation for Dave Keck at Knob Mountain.

Offline tfornicola

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 03:04:44 AM »
Mark Weader ( Jack's Mt. Stock Co. ) 717-543-5370

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 03:24:50 AM »
Dave Is very good at what he does....I always used Fred Miller and now Dave is the man to go to!
I used to do everything myself in my early days but when I met Fred..... Life became more injoyable! Dave has really filled in the voild since Fred gave it up!
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 06:29:19 PM »
Another vote for Dave Keck.  He does excellent work and has a variety of butt stock profiles.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 06:32:42 PM »
Both of the above are excellent suggestions, but if you are on the West side of the US, you can rely on Dave Rase who is great and it might save on shipping?
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 07:20:14 PM »
I notice that you mention that you thought the one you found who does this work " too costly"
Perhaps you could define what range of price you are comfortable with ?   Muzzleloading items have been associated with "inexpensive" in the eyes of many for a long while. Most of the folks doing this kind of work are small, family type operations and the prices charged are pretty reasonable for the work they do. 

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 12:33:49 AM »
I notice that you mention that you thought the one you found who does this work " too costly"
Perhaps you could define what range of price you are comfortable with ?   Muzzleloading items have been associated with "inexpensive" in the eyes of many for a long while. Most of the folks doing this kind of work are small, family type operations and the prices charged are pretty reasonable for the work they do.

Many of us do not value our time at building.... but when you realize the amount of time that a builder has into a gun from a blank...It tends not to be a Labor of Love anymore! I walked that route in the 1980's and once I found someone to Inlet the barrel and Drill the ramrod hole I was delighted! It only helped me enjoy building that much more! I never used these folks for rough shaping however! I have built a number of Track Of The Wolf kits for folks that could not afford a full custom gun ....but they never received what I felt was a kit built gun....because I customized all of those because I like to build something that is unique. Inletting a swamped barrel and cutting the RR channel and drilling the hole properly, takes a lot of man hours...Anything they ask is better then me slaving to do it! I am on the East coast Fred Miller was my go to guy and now Dave Keck has taken his place! Both of those gentlemen had and has very reasonable pricees in my opinion.
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 04:19:41 AM »
Mark Weader at Jacks Mountain Stock Co. is the guy. Super nice fellow and awesome to swing by and shoot the breeze with him.

Offline flehto

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 06:14:02 PM »
After doing the bbl/RR work on my first 4 LRs, decided to send that work out....first it was Fred Miller and then Dave Rase who was able to consistently  make the webs 1/16" at the breech and 5/32" at the muzzle. These webs enabled very slim Bucks County LRs to be made.....Fred

Offline Scotts180

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 12:43:06 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your input!

Scott