Author Topic: Poor Mans Way to True Up A Muzzle  (Read 2353 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Poor Mans Way to True Up A Muzzle
« on: April 06, 2022, 05:17:41 PM »

This is my muzzle true-ing tool. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My true-ing tool  is my best friend. It is my only hope to true up my muzzle when I cut it. I must master it as I must master my cut muzzles.

My true-ing, without me, is useless. Without my true-ing tool, I am useless. I must file my shortened muzzle  true. I must shoot straighter with a true muzzle

When building a component set ( which is about the limit of my abilities) I often find that getting the right caliber, weight, handling and carry feel into the stock I want depend on cutting down a  barrel. 

Once I cut the muzzle in a customization project, I stuff the six inches or so of a appropriately sized  dowel  right out of the hardware store bin into the cut off piece.  That way I can place it in the muzzle and true up the face based on where it meets the cutoff and the  light comes through or the color transfer shows.

I have found tools like this for .50, .54, .58 and .62 calibers.

Online Bob Roller

Re: Poor Mans Way to True Up A Muzzle
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 04:29:24 PM »
Back in the 80's I made a portable fly cutter to use at the range and it consists of a stem that in THIS case is .4495 to fit a 45 caliber bore and a 5/16" diameter stem to guide the fly cutter which is powered by a charged portable drill.The stem is drilled  and tapped for a 6x40
threaded screw which pushes down on a tapered pin that forces a brass plug against the  bore to make sure it stays in place.I have used this on BPCR rifles when the first shot does not reveal a good star pattern matching the number grooves.There are other stems for the 40's and the 38's.The cutter itself is a 5/16" new high speed lathe tool that is held at an angle and the sharp corner does the cutting when spinning.
It can be easily adapted to any muzzle loader once an accurate dimension is established using an expanding gauge and a micrometer.
Bob Roller