Author Topic: Open Sights and AMS at Friendship Matches  (Read 1160 times)

Offline kyridgerunner

Open Sights and AMS at Friendship Matches
« on: April 08, 2022, 03:28:50 AM »
Hoping someone can help me understand what sights to use shooting at the Friendship Nationals. Several of the Aggs: C, E, H, M,  just to reference a few, specify "open sights" for half the matches in the Aggregate and then "any metallic sight" the other matches. As I understand it, AMS can mean peep sights. Is that correct. Is so how would you shoot that agg? Would you use two rifles? One with peep sights and the other with open sights. Or use one rifle that can be switched from open to peep sights? Guess it's pretty obvious I've never shot at Friendship.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Open Sights and AMS at Friendship Matches
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 03:41:14 AM »
AMS does mean any metalic sight which includes peep sights. I my case I have removable peep sights and open sights on one rifle. Shooting the same rifle has the advantage of you knowing your trigger pull, knowing your cheek weld, hand positions and other intricacies. Using two different rifles means changing all of these things. Uniformity in equipment and mental attitude are very important. What matches are you planning to shoot,m

Mark

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 03:59:02 AM »
When I shot the Bench, Light Bench and X-stix matches the rifle I used had a removeable rear mounted peep and a removeable mid-barrel open sight. I could just replace what ever needed for the different matches. Same gun, trigger, loades etc.

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 06:49:20 PM »
Thanks Smokingbuck and smylee.

I'm thinking of shooting KK-One Gun, LL-Traditional Offhand, E-Flintlock, O-Offhand Hunting Rifle, H- 25 Yard Offhand etc., I think all these are both Open and AMS sights. I'm guessing the best way would be to have a rear sight that's screw mounted?  And to have a screw mounted peep sight? That sound right? So what do you do with the front sight when changing rear sights from open to peep style? Can you have a Globe front sight and just change the insert to a post for open sights and an aperture for peep sights?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 05:27:44 AM »
Screw mounted sights, front and rear are often used including an aperture front with interchangable inserts. Remember, consistency is what you are looking for and you will get different sight pictures from each scenario you describe.
Mark

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 07:59:28 AM »
MOunted with two 6-48 scope mount screws (these are hardened but many now come with torx heads) My local Ace Hardware has blued and seem hard “gun screws”. In those carboard drawer things they use for hardware and screws. Sight is easy on/easy off.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 04:02:00 PM »
OK. I'm getting an idea of what I need to do for the peep sight and the front sight.  A rear peep like Dphariss uses would be quite easy to do and a Globe front sight with inserts.

That's a very nice looking rifle Dphariss. Did you use the existing tang mount hole to secure the peep or drill and tap new holes?

What do you guys do with the rear open sight. Most of my rear sights are traditional style, dovetail mounted and not easily removable.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 04:39:14 PM »
OK. I'm getting an idea of what I need to do for the peep sight and the front sight.  A rear peep like Dphariss uses would be quite easy to do and a Globe front sight with inserts.

That's a very nice looking rifle Dphariss. Did you use the existing tang mount hole to secure the peep or drill and tap new holes?

What do you guys do with the rear open sight. Most of my rear sights are traditional style, dovetail mounted and not easily removable.

Its tapped in over the breech plug. Rifle weighs 17 pounds 12 oz.

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 04:24:07 AM »

Dphariss,

Is your open rear sight removable? I'm just wondering if it's also screw mounted and you just remove it when shooting with the peep.

Do many of the top shooters actually do this, that is, shoot half a Agg. with open sights, switch over to peep sights and finish the Agg.
Seems like a chore to me.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 06:36:30 AM »

Dphariss,

Is your open rear sight removable? I'm just wondering if it's also screw mounted and you just remove it when shooting with the peep.

Do many of the top shooters actually do this, that is, shoot half a Agg. with open sights, switch over to peep sights and finish the Agg.
Seems like a chore to me.

Have not been to Friendship since  1969. And I only shot primitive.
<deleted>
Sorry misunderstood your question.  Rear open sight is  dovetailed in.  I take out the barrel sight but don’t shoot different matches with the rifle. It has the opens back on it now and the peep is in a drawer in the shop
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 06:39:39 AM by Dphariss »

Offline kudu

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 01:44:18 AM »
Just remember you can shoot opensights in a AMS match
Just not the other way around (peep in open sights match).
Kinda like shooting a Flintlock in a percussion match.
I do it all the time and sometimes win.
If you practice you can shoot good with open sights with a homemade sun shade if allowed.

Offline kyridgerunner

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 04:07:51 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies - BUT - I still don't have the answer to my question of whether it's common practice to switch from open to peep sights in those many matches where it's permitted. Is that the way the top shooters do it? Or do they just shoot the complete agg. with open sights and not bother to shoot AMS .

I do know that a lot of those guys can shoot open sights just as well as they can peep sights but for shooters without eagle eyes peep sights could certainly help.

Offline MJBush

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 08:26:41 AM »
The reason it is hard to answer your question, bench shooting and off hand shooting are not always the same people. The agg’s you are asking about are very different. Some bench shooters never shoot off hand. Some off hand shooters look at a 40 lbs bench gun and shake the heads and ask why would you shoot 175 grains of 2F powder? Teflon patching at $ 30.00 a yard, are you just stupid?
The answer, most bench shooters use one rifle and change sights. Most sights are Redfield Olympic or International, same with front sights. The open sight is modified. These are wiz bang target rifles, nothing you will see on this site.
Again, send me a private email or call me. My name is on the NMLRA website. I will be happy to talk to you. I can send you photos privately. This is not the place.
Michael

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 05:47:54 PM »
When I was still shooting those types of matches my rifle had two bases, one on the breech end and one mid barrel. The bases had cross slots some what like a Weaver scope base and the sights mounted via those slots with a small claw type of fastining with a hex nut so they could be exchanged quickly. Mine had Redfield International sights with 1/4 min. adjustment. Front sight was a Redfield Olimpic with all manner of inserts, circles, posts, crosshairs, etc.