Author Topic: TOW english fowler  (Read 13241 times)

brokenflint

Re: TOW english fowler
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 08:34:12 PM »
I think something may need to be cleared up to avoid confusion as to my statement on not wanting any kit recommendations.  I have no problems with either Jim's or Mike's product line.  I like them both, I just was looking at the TOW catalog and had questions about the fowler kit.  As I stated I'm a fowler dummy, so naturally I had a ton of questions.   ATM I am not planning to start anything new  ;) I have to finish what is on the bench, especially after I've gotten side tracked and made my first couple of bags.  The wife will kill me if another stick of wood arrives at the front door  ;D  Thanks

Broke

northmn

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 03:25:06 AM »
Better to do research now than before you spend your money or start your build.  I built an English style shot gun a while back but did not quite follow the English lines and used Lancaster lines on the butt section.  No big deal but it would have been done different with a little more looking.  It was English influenced anyway, not an English copy and made for hunting not show.  I am now in the process of looking at barrels for another longrifle, but like you, have a little too much on the bench.  The stuff does not seem to get any cheaper over time either.

DP

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 02:50:19 PM »
The barrel is their "universal" barrel they use in everything. I have used them and they are OK. Straight taper, no flair, and a bit heavy for a fowling gun.  I don't care for that particular buttplate as the shoulder on the heel is too long. The bend in the wrist should start a bit farther forward also. The L&R lock is a bit small for a English fowling gun.  Otherwise it is perfect.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

brokenflint

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 05:16:27 PM »
Thanks Mike  That was the kind of input I was looking for.  I did pick up Grinslade's book yesterday but all I had time for was a quick look at the pics. 

Broke

chuck-ia

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »
If reffering to the unmarked barrels tow sells, I asked about them a year or so ago, according to tow they are colerain barrels, to me unmarked means, easier to (for me)  fit breech plug. chuck

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »
I have had one of these fowlers for several years and it's a decent enough gun. Everything Mike says is true--especially about the barrel. It is just way too heavy which is what happens when you try to save money by using a 16 gauge barrel profile to accomodate all bore sizes from 28 gauge to 20 gauge. And the profile is wrong anyway. From a distance, my fowler looks great and I have no complaints as to function, but if I were to do it now, I would order one of Mike's or Jim's guns. Like any fine birding piece, the weight should lie mostly between your hands, balance wise, and not way out on the muzzle.

brokenflint

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 08:52:20 PM »
Interesting to findout the a single exterior dimension is used for 16 thru 28 ga, thanks.  All this is helping speed the learning curve.

Broke