Author Topic: Down Proof Pillow Ticking  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Down Proof Pillow Ticking
« on: April 08, 2022, 06:22:07 PM »
As you guys probably know, the down proof pillow ticking we bought 30 yrs ago from our local fabric store is no more. The striped ticking you buy there today is for decorative purposes & isn't the tightly woven stuff we used for patching. I did a search today & found out that down proof ticking is still available on-line with high reviews for being down proof. Not striped or flowered, this ticking is 100% cotton & can be ordered from "The Online Fabric Store" & a number of other on line outlets. Thickness is unknown, but I'll put my vernier on it when it comes in & see how it shoots. I have one old Numerich .58 that only wanted to shoot the old flowered stuff well, so it just sits. With any luck it will start shooting again. If so, I'll take the Redfields off & have a reall nice chunk/table gun.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline kyridgerunner

Re: Down Proof Pillow Ticking
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 06:53:34 PM »
Roger B. That's good info. I've been using the Walmart pillow ticking and it doesn't hold up very well with tight loads. Let us know how the down proof ticking works out. I just ordered some canvas from Ron Hite that I'm anxious to try.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 08:17:14 AM »
Fabric-Store dot com. IL090 or IL095 linen canvas.

I gave up on ticking and even denim. Its all imported now it seems and poor quality.
Wash it hot and dry it.  The 095 is about .020”+,  the 8 ounce 090 is thinner. This is after washing and some shrinkage which tightens it up and thickens it somewhat.
Will probably iron it before cutting patches. This was dried in low. I dried the last batch “normal” and it really needed ironing.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline duca

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 12:07:46 PM »
Thanks for the heads up guys!

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 11:02:34 PM »
I have barrels that still shoot okay with mattress ticking which is a heavier ticking than the pillow variety.  But I rarely use anything other than heavy canvas - with occasional shooting using denim patching.  Certainly care must be taken to assure patching material is indeed not only cotton but also a tight weave.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 12:25:02 AM »
I have barrels that still shoot okay with mattress ticking which is a heavier ticking than the pillow variety.  But I rarely use anything other than heavy canvas - with occasional shooting using denim patching.  Certainly care must be taken to assure patching material is indeed not only cotton but also a tight weave.
Same here. At the local fabric store there are two types of ticking, with mattress ticking being tightly woven and 100% cotton. The pillow ticking is a 50-50 blend making it unsuitable for patching.  I've found the mattress ticking to hold up very well even with 85 grain loads out of my .54. It measures .018 after washing the sizing out and I use either a dry lube or just Beeswax & olive oil mix, torn into strips and cut at the muzzle.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 04:24:40 PM »
I appreciate the info on mattress ticking (which I have never seen in stores) & linen canvas. I've been using artist canvas which is Belgian linen & very expensive. Its good to see an alternate source for the stuff, though not necessarily Belgian.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 04:33:35 PM »
A friend of mine turned me on to #40 Drill Cloth from Joann Fabrics. It's the material used for Pockets. The weave is so tight you can hold it up to the light and you won't see any light come through. It's measures .018. I wash it a couple of times to remove the sizing and tighten the weave even more.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 05:35:58 AM »
The best patch material I've seen in a long time I buy from Eastern Maine shooting supplies.
https://www.ebay.com/b/Eastern-Maine-Shooting-Supplies-Inc-Bore-Patch-Gun-Cleaning-Supplies/22700/bn_84951863
or
https://www.emshootingsupplies.com/#/

I use the plain material. I haven't used their striped stuff.
This is the best I've seen in many years.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 08:31:38 PM »
If you EVER see this, buy as much as possible. It is phenomenal patch material. I just remeasured it at .023" with my 'current' dial calipers, compressed with forefinger and thumb
on the jaws.
100% cotton.
It actually loads as easily or perhaps more easily than 10 ounce denim, yet is .002" thicker. It is very soft (washed twice) and I used it in the .40 with .002" oversized ball as well as
in the .32 with bore sized ball.
Wonderful material and the stores here say they cannot "get it" any more.
This stuff shoots "The Best" in every one of my guns, with balls from .010" under bore size on up to bore size,
even in the .69 with the 500gr. balls I bought at rendezvous. I usually shoot .682's in pure down to .662" but using much thicker patches with those and the .675's.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:07:18 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JBJ

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 04:05:24 PM »
Daryl,
What was it sold as? Drill, ticking, denim?? #40 drill from JoAnn mentioned by Hatchet-Jack is a good product.
J.B.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 07:53:10 PM »
We don't have JoAnnes stores up here.
The shop lady I/we bought it from, called it denim, but it did not seem to be a denim weave to me.
We called it mattress ticking.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V