Author Topic: A N.C. Horn W/A Band & Without Bands  (Read 761 times)

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
A N.C. Horn W/A Band & Without Bands
« on: April 08, 2022, 07:55:20 PM »
 Another after a horn on pages 52-53 of Dr. Hopkins' "Bone Tipped & Banded Horns Pt II."
This one is about 14 1/2" around the outside curve and 11 2/2 tip-to-tip. The butt is Walnut hollowed out about half its length, it is held in by the same 4 wooden pegs that hold the base band in place. The tip is of 2 pieces of Whitetail antler, the tip id pinned to the collar with 3 wooden pegs and to the horn with 3 more. The 4 bands were heated and pressed in place. The horn was scraped and burnished, given a coat of AF and heated, followed by Brown wax.

Tim C.

Offline TN Longhunter

Re: A N.C. Horn W/A Band & Without Bands
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 10:02:42 PM »
Really like that you are using the book for inspiration. I need to do the same. Also, the missing bands add a lot to the horn. Gave a guy several banded horns to select one as a gift for a friend. He choose one that had one of the bands broken. Said the originals would have had broken bands and that was the one he wanted. You are pushing the envelope on these for the rest of us that play at making horns. Great horn.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 10:07:45 PM »
Really nice horn Tim.  I like the missing rings.  Seems like it wants to tell a story.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 02:34:48 AM »
That is really cool with the "missing" bands.  We've seen the originals with missing bands, and they always make me wonder about their back story.  Great idea and execution buddy!   God Bless,   Marc

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 03:44:04 AM »
Looking good, Tim.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry