General discussion > Gun Building

Re bore 1841 Mississippi rifle

(1/4) > >>

Prospector8083:
  I have a Mississippi rifle made in 1850 that I want to make a shooter out of. It actually shoots decent with the original 54 cal bore. I want to re rifle it to 58 caliber and I have heard that this was done to some of them in military use.Could you recommend someone to do this procedure completely because I don't even have a way to get the breech plug out. I don't care if it changes the value,I just want to shoot it on blackpowder Sunday!

Longknife:
Send a message to Rober Hoyt, he is a member here...LK

Top Jaw:
Sounds like your already shooting it.  If your looking for more accuracy, you could have the bore lapped, or the original rifling freshened without an impact. But a complete rebore would in fact significantly decrease the value. 

Wingshot:
The very first muzzleloader I ever fired was an original Mississippi rifle. I was 12 years old bumming around the rifle range while my dad was shooting Trap. The gentleman’s name was Bill Jackson, a high school teacher for the North Allegheny School District. He was wearing a grey Kepi and had a CS belt buckle. Funny how a flood of memories can come at the mere mention of a particular firearm. That was in 1972. Good luck with that shooter! (Bill was an active member of NSSA, now sadly departed).

Clark Badgett:
Please do not rebore an original that still retains its original bore size.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version