Author Topic: yet another fabulous Kibler kit class at the NMLRA  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
yet another fabulous Kibler kit class at the NMLRA
« on: April 10, 2022, 11:28:56 PM »
were doing 4 kits and 2 guys are doing an extension of the plank class. All kits are assembled the first day, two have to pin the ramrod pipes to.orrow morning.  I'm  beat.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: yet another fabulous Kibler kit class at the NMLRA
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 11:58:24 PM »
I can't get any pictures to download,  ill try again tomorrow.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 12:29:49 AM »
I can't get any pictures to download,  ill try again tomorrow.
You can't get that geek Wayne to put down his beer and download a few photos?
David

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 09:58:14 PM »
LOL! I think those 2 guys are earning their beer this week!
Eat Beef

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 01:52:36 AM »
It would be great just to “sit in” these classes just to watch!

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 02:37:36 AM »
Wayne has been too busy keeping everyone on a straight path!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 05:45:53 AM »
It would be great just to “sit in” these classes just to watch!

It would be interesting to have a "sit in" option, this might appeal to a new person on the fence to spend $$$$ for a high grade kit....or a person that may like to build at home without a deadline, or perhaps Has a kit on order but not delivered by class date, but would like to pick up some tips from the pro's or just good fellowship with common interest folks....just a thought. I would understand if not allowed.

A sliding scale might be fun:
-nearly free for the guy willing to chase coffee/snacks for the group.
-$ for eyes open/ mouth shut sit in.
-$$ for polite questions allowed sit in.
-$$$$$ for sit in customers that offer unsolicited advise.... 8)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 09:32:38 AM by Hunterdude »

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 03:34:55 PM »
Spectators would be welcomed. Particularly on days 1 and 4. Day one you will get to see the kit assembled (most completely assembled). Day 4 is finish day for most. There’s a whole lot of metal and wood prepping in the middle two days.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 03:39:34 PM »
I tried to teach a bow making class twice and invited 8 or 10 interested newbies and two other experienced bow makers  to help teach. All the newbies, chose to "sit in" instead of participate, it made for a cluttered class that just didn't work. A friend tried to teach a class in another part of the state and ran into the same thing. I teach for free and seldom have a student actually finish a bow, they just walk away.

After the failed classes I have had people who just wanted to hang out in my shop and watch me work, I have discouraged this.

If a student has money invested in the class and and materials they will work, people without the same investment will only be in the way. 

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 04:09:48 PM »
  Erick nailed it ..!  Been involved in a couple of classes. Though they mean well (?) Their are always a couple of people who show up. Who always know more than the instructors.
  But if they all have to pay the same.. It seems to back them off a bit.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 04:47:30 PM »
  Erick nailed it ..!  Been involved in a couple of classes. Though they mean well (?) Their are always a couple of people who show up. Who always know more than the instructors.
  But if they all have to pay the same.. It seems to back them off a bit.
Our show. We like doing this our way. If someone steps out of line I’ll show them the door.  Otherwise, anyone interested in learning is a welcomed guest.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 05:00:59 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 11:11:59 PM »
 Wayne I bet you would...!!!  But then your a tag bigger than most...

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2022, 11:04:42 AM »
I was one of the two plank students and, as always, I had the absolute time of my life and learned a tremendous amount at Mike and Wayne's class in Friendship. I got the entire stock shaped down to its final outer dimensions, I installed the triggers and trigger guard, installed the tang bolt and rear lock bolt, shaped the lock and side plate panels, got the wrist and entire butt stock shaped to its final form, and started inleting the front two pipes. I learned a lot about marking out a stock, line work, correct architecture, hand tool technique, and a tremendous amount of tips and methods for achieving different results in the process. It was a very rewarding week, made possible through Mike and Wayne's passion and dedication for teaching.

On top of Mike and Wayne, I'd also like to acknowledge my classmate John for much of the success I had this week. Watching him hard charge through the work really motivated me to step it up.

There were many high points this week but the one that stood out to me the most is the elevated level of respect I now have for Wayne. I always respected him as a highly experienced and skilled gun builder, but I didn't realize just quite how good he was until this class. Wayne is mythical. So cheek pieces were always something that gave me problems, there's so much complex geometry and transitions in them to where even when you're looking at one already done correctly it still becomes a bit difficult to connect all the dots. So I watched how Mike marked it out on his demonstration stock, watched him shape it out and took careful notes, handled the study pieces brought in, and then I went back to my bench to perform the same task. Mike was watching me work and pointing out things and then asked me "you got it?" I replied with an enthusiastic "yes" and he walked off to help another student.

Well, within a few minutes I had completely bungled up the cheek piece I was working on. Then I walked back to Mike's demonstration stock to see how bad I messed up and my heart sank, Mike noticed my despair and came over to see what I had done. Now, normally, I will point something out specifically on my stock and under my breath ask Mike "Did I sit the bed here?" and usually Mike will just say nah and tell me what I did wrong and show me how to correct it. But this time he just said yep and told me he'd have to come back with his magic wand to try and fix it. He got pulled off on his way back from his bench by another student and it was at that moment Stoner swooped in like Batman to save the day. He brought a handful of tools and walked me through step by step, highlighting areas on the stock with a pencil and showing me which tool to use and what to do with it before moving on to next area to work on until the cheek piece was completely saved. I think even Mike was amazed by the complete save Wayne performed?

I wish I had a before picture of the mangled cheek piece to show, but it looked like the Elephant Man's face after being in a room where someone had just farted right next to him. Furthermore, on top of now having a correctly shaped and pleasant to look at cheek piece, I also no longer have the mental disconnect regarding their architecture. The lines and transitions and the methods of achieving them are all much clearer in my mind.

This was a fantastic week 2 of the plank class and I can't wait to come back for week 3. I would highly recommend anyone interested in learning how to build guns take Mike and Wayne's class, the experience will be invaluable and you'll have the time of your life inside and outside of class. There was a couple this time there who came in all the way from California so you really have no excuse not to come!         

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2022, 03:09:02 PM »
Twin Superheroes!
Eat Beef

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2022, 04:01:07 PM »
   They know what their doing. Anytime you are around skilled people and pay attention . You will learn. These two guy's know their stuff and besides. Hands on experience is in my opinion is the best...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 12:54:40 AM by oldtravler61 »

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2022, 04:06:35 PM »
Sounds like a great class!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2022, 04:24:12 PM »
These classes are all about everyone learning a little something. It was another good week.
 On to Knoxville next week!!
 I’m going to have to return to being a husband and gardener one of these days.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Bellke

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 09:39:27 PM »
I'm going to be attending the NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar June 6-10, I'm hoping for the same level of enjoyment.  I wish I could have done the April class, but with ordering my Colonial kit at the end of January, I wouldn't have had anything to work with.  Still waiting on it - but I did get an email today explaining what's going on.