Author Topic: Wood patch box  (Read 1895 times)

Offline ed lundquist

Wood patch box
« on: April 16, 2022, 03:26:00 AM »
My first attempt at a wood box. Looking forward to one in brass next, iron is a little too hard on the old muscules. It fits nice and has a satisfying click when it closes, I had a nice quarter sawn piece to make it from and the grain matched up pretty good I think. That is the last stock work on this one, on to the finishing. I had a good day, hope you did too.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
Re: Wood patch box
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 04:23:02 AM »
Very nice !

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline duca

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 06:02:01 AM »
Very Nicely done!!

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 02:34:27 PM »
Very nice Ed. That grain should really pop when you finish it. Look forward to seeing it.
 Frankly I rather file steel than brass.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 02:31:12 AM »
VERY well done!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 03:10:22 AM »
Thanks guys, I am browning lock and barrel,installing sights and then I will have more pics. Nearly there!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 05:02:40 PM »
That's a GOOD looker!
Tom C.

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 04:00:00 AM »
Finished up today, 50cal. Colerain 38" rifled, Chambers golden age lock, iron furniture, one piece nosecap with 25 cent silver sight. Nice sugar maple stock from Tom Fornicola. Need to get some color on the ramrod and try it out. Always things to learn, things to do better. I'm open to helpful suggestions. This will make number 6 from a plank. Thanks.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 02:38:54 AM »
That's a great looking rifle you built there Ed.  Real nice work.  The one thing that I would recommend for future wood box builds, is the end of the wood lid should be shaped to follow the curves of the buttplate, both vertically and horizontally. it appears that you followed the curve vertically, but it needs to angle inward so it follows the horizontal curve as well.  Then again, it could be the camera angle as well.  Clay Smith demos this very well in his Grumpy Gunsmith of Williamsburg videos, Ep. 40 & 41 I believe.  Nice job!

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 03:25:40 AM »
Tom, I will watch that. I flattened the plate some but probably should have taken it a bit further. The one corner of the covers cap was never going to align and still have enough thickness to match the plate if I kept filing so I got it as close as I could. I'm sure Clay covers it well, I forget his videos are there. Thanks for the reminder.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 03:37:34 PM »
Looking good Ed!!!!!!!

Mitch