Author Topic: My Kibler SMR, question on finish  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Mdufresne

• Starting Member
My Kibler SMR, question on finish
« on: June 29, 2022, 07:54:55 PM »
I completed my Kibler kit a month or so ago. I applied two coats of Permalyn sealer. They first coat I gave it all it would absorb, second coat was much thinner. I am wondering what is the best finish for hunting? Should I apply a wax top coat or should there be more coats of Permalyn?

Offline Daryl

Re: My Kibler SMR, question on finish
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 09:44:18 PM »
If it was mine, I would use Circa 1850 Tung Oil - or True Oil. With the True Oil I would cut back the shine with Pumice, Rotten Stone or 0000 Steel Wool.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 10:08:54 PM »
Permalyn is a good finish. I used it for years. You will need at least 7 or 8 coats to build up any kind of sheen.
Keep going, it’ll work out fine.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Preacher Dave

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 10:39:12 PM »
Congratulations on finishing your SMR, it looks very good!  I use Permalyn Sealer, too, not exclusively, particularly if I'm re-finishing something I'm likely to use Tru Oil or something similar. I like the way the Permalyn Sealer penetrates new wood. Anyway, as @smallpatch said, you probably should add some more coats of the sealer and then finish with a topcoat of wax. I've used Johnson's Paste Wax and Birchwood Casey's Gunstock Wax, both with good results.

Offline Mdufresne

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 01:25:32 AM »
Thank you guys for the tips!

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 04:25:28 AM »
Beautiful looking rifle! Would the Laurel Mountain finish be best over the sealer?

Offline Mdufresne

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 04:29:14 AM »
I have no idea what is the best, that's why I am asking. I figured somebody on hear would have some answers. I loved working with the permalyn, it penetrates excellent and provides a great finish. I just wanted to know what most people would do to seal it for hunting.

Offline Frank

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 04:41:51 AM »
I have used Chambers Traditional Oil Finish exclusively over the past 20 years. Goes on easy, dries quickly, and gives an excellent finish. I use 4 coats.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 07:23:51 AM »
Before I "finished" the stock, I might rub it down with sealer and 0000 steel wood, then wipe, to lighten the light grain colour, then wipe it off.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V