General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Working on a turkey load

<< < (2/4) > >>

Eric Krewson:
Try a Skychief load, it will surprise you. There is a sticky for it in the smoothbore section over at the M/L Forum.

I have a jug choked 12 that never shot a good turkey pattern until I put a Skychief load in it.

I used 90 gr of 1F and an ounce and a half of #6 shot. This is a Skychief load at 25 yards, the gun shoots a little high, I held on the head.

This is a cylinder bore 20 that shot such a bad pattern that I wouldn't even shoot at a squirrel with it. This is at 20 yards with a Skychief load, 80gr of 1F and 1 1/4 oz shot. The gun shoots left, I was shooting at the center seam, I have never gotten around to bending the barrel.

rich pierce:
Eric, I’ve tried the Skychief load in this gun without seeing improvement.  I’m going to need to try varying the thickness and amount of lube in the cushion wad atop the shot column, I guess.

martin9:
If you find your #5 shot or even #4 you might wanna try the skychief load again. I've played with it a good bit and it did nothing for my #8s or 7.5 shot patterns in my 28 gauge. It REALLY improved my #6 patterns out of that gun though. I'm wondering with your bigger bore maybe some larger shot might be the ticket.

Eric Krewson:
I found it works the best with a full 1/2" olive oil soaked fiber wad over the shot and three thin cereal box over powder powder wads on top of the powder. In a big bore 1F made a huge difference as well. I wear a thick PAST recoil pad when I shoot this load, it definitely gets your attention.

Dan Fruth:
60 grains of 2FF-1/2 inch Celotex wad- 1 oz 5&6- and overshot card works great for me in my 20 gauge

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version