Author Topic: Something different  (Read 2827 times)

Offline sdilts

Re: Something different
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2022, 02:43:29 AM »
When I was visiting the Rifle Shoppe a couple weeks ago, there was a set of those barrels on the work bench in process. I believe the described charge was 40grs under a patched RB per barrel, and it's still a thumper at that.

Maybe someday I'll built one of my own.
The print that came with this said to use a 450 size ball and definitely NOT use a patch. If you use a patch the recoil will be extreme.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2022, 03:20:51 AM »
When I was visiting the Rifle Shoppe a couple weeks ago, there was a set of those barrels on the work bench in process. I believe the described charge was 40grs under a patched RB per barrel, and it's still a thumper at that.

The print that came with this said to use a 450 size ball and definitely NOT use a patch. If you use a patch the recoil will be extreme.

Just don't tilt it down, I guess - or need to reload it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2022, 03:22:43 AM »

Come to think of it, the patched ball load may have been the load he described as almost dislocating his shoulder. Thanks for jogging my memory.
Psalms 144

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2022, 03:27:47 AM »

Just don't tilt it down, I guess - or need to reload it.
[/quote]
Being the Royal Navy they probably had a paper cartridge for reloading and used the paper as wadding.
Psalms 144

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2022, 07:17:02 AM »
Maybe only load every other barrel?

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2022, 07:54:13 AM »
   I am going to have to build one of these! I shoot a 4 bore rifle quite often with more lead and larger powder charge than one of these. The recoil is tremendous. But it is manageable and not painful. This gun would have less recoil than a 4 bore. I think anyone with with experience shooting the larger modern dangerous game rifles would not have trouble with it. Someone who does not have experience with heavy recoil would be in for quite a surprise.