Author Topic: Mike Brooks Lion and Lamb rifle.  (Read 2844 times)

Offline lexington1

Mike Brooks Lion and Lamb rifle.
« on: April 22, 2022, 03:24:20 AM »
I got my Lion and Lamb rifle from Mike Brooks today. When I examined it, it dawned on me that everything I have set up on one of my bags would fit this gun perfectly. Less than an hour after uncrating it I was out shooting it. I was not disappointed! This rifle fits me very well and has my ideal weight and balance. The lock is a Siler by Walter Cain. I shot 20 shots and it went off quickly every time and was really easy on the flint. I hit all of my gongs at various distances, so I think it must be pretty close to being sighted in for me. I can't wait for a warmer day so I can see exactly how it's doing from the bench.

Offline Daryl

Re: Mike Brooks Lion and Lamb rifle.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 03:30:20 AM »
GREAT!! That little primer is cute.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 03:53:18 AM »
Congratulations. A day to remember.  Mighty happy for you good sir. God bless, Marc

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 05:10:46 AM »
Keep us posted on ur range work.  I talked my buddy Mike Z into buying another of Mikes L&L guns awhile ago.  Beautiful well balanced gun.  He has never shot it.

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 01:41:46 PM »
Congratulations!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline DavidC

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 04:41:04 PM »
Glad to see you happy with the new gun.

The angle in the first photo, how many counties away was your gong?!  ;D

Offline lexington1

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 05:15:08 PM »
I had the sight setting at the highest level :D. I was shooting at a gong up on the hill, lol.  ;D

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 06:33:14 PM »
A fine rifle for sure. Congratulations.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline DavidC

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 07:18:44 PM »
I like to think the gun provides MB quality commentary on your shooting within the echo of the muzzle report; a soft "I'd opt for better shooting..." drifting on the breeze after a missed shot.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 04:42:06 PM »
I'm glad you like it. It probably has a 1/4 X 28 touch hole liner in it as it was built before the whit lightning was invented. Did you have the right size ball as it turned out to be a .52? Also, if you're a dedicated target shooter you have to love those sights!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 04:47:23 PM »
I like to think the gun provides MB quality commentary on your shooting within the echo of the muzzle report; a soft "I'd opt for better shooting..." drifting on the breeze after a missed shot.
You'll finally come to the conclusion I'm always right.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

GameStalker

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 10:34:50 PM »
I REALLY like the shape and the lines of the buttstock! Just So Right!
Why is it called Lion & Lamb Rifle please? (I'm familiar with the Biblical basis of the phrase.)

Offline lexington1

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 10:37:58 PM »
I do like the sights! No worries about heat waves, that's for sure. I happen to have a Rapine mold in .500 and with .020 cotton duck patching it fits perfect. I already had a bunch of balls made up for another somewhat oddball bore size rifle that I have so I was able to take it right out of the box and shoot it. I hit all of the gongs I have spread out throughout the property so I was impressed. I can't wait to get it on the bench and see how it's really doing, but so far it has impressed the heck out of me. I shot twenty shots with the flint that was on the lock and it still looks the same, nice and sharp. I swore that I was done buying any more contemporary rifles, as I will never get around to enjoying all of the ones I have before I die, but I saw this one and, well, j just had to have it. 

Offline lexington1

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 10:41:03 PM »
I REALLY like the shape and the lines of the buttstock! Just So Right!
Why is it called Lion & Lamb Rifle please? (I'm familiar with the Biblical basis of the phrase.)

This has, quite literally, a Lamb patchbox and a carved Lion behind the cheekpiece.

Offline DavidC

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 05:27:08 AM »
Come to think of it, Mike, didn't you argue once that you didn't think it was a lion depicted on the original?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 01:14:24 PM by DavidC »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2022, 12:16:20 PM »
Yes.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2022, 05:22:28 PM »
Yes, but Lion and Lamb sounds better than Lion and Thing.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2022, 06:07:13 PM »
Yes, but Lion and Lamb sounds better than Lion and Thing.
I think the box is either a dog or leopard. There is another early CS gun with a carved animal on the left side that I believe is a leopard, complete with spots. Which makes me think the L&L gun's box is a leopard also.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2022, 09:49:38 PM »
That's very interesting. I like the leopard reference better. There is no denying that the spots have definitely been put on the carving, but to me it looks like a lion with leopard spots.  Any ideas why it might be a leopard? Whatever the case, I like it!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2022, 11:20:59 PM »
That's very interesting. I like the leopard reference better. There is no denying that the spots have definitely been put on the carving, but to me it looks like a lion with leopard spots.  Any ideas why it might be a leopard? Whatever the case, I like it!
Something I read about wooden 17th century Jewish synagogues. It was also on PBS a couple years ago. Anyway, the inside of these places were painted with the same images of these CS guns. Can't find the link I used to have.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2022, 03:25:14 AM »
I did a quick internet bible search and there are numerous references to leopards, including Isaiah 11:6. Maybe the carving is a reference to that?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2022, 05:40:10 AM »
I think so. I believe these men at CS were using illustrated  bibles from the old country for inspiration for their designs.  Otherwise they wouldn't have had any real idea  of what these beasties looked like.

Offline DavidC

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2022, 05:51:20 PM »
Pretty sure I know the leopard it's based off of.  ;D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjzmKd9IQAAIkSM.jpg

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2022, 07:47:57 PM »
Go away son, you bother me.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2022, 09:19:25 PM »
Congrats on your new gun, you did good picking it up!