Author Topic: Conner Prairie Horn Class Display Horns  (Read 6660 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Conner Prairie Horn Class Display Horns
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:09:36 AM »
During our class there was a display of original horns as well as horns made by Art.  The following photos are a mix of these.   The horns changed positions during the week, so you may see a horn more than once.  Also you may see more pics of Lancaster screw tips since they were my favorites. 

My thanks to Art for the superb instruction.  I'm sure everyone got their money's worth and more.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Conner Prairie Horn Class Display Horns
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 08:19:43 PM »
 Good job Pletch, Thanks

Tim C.

brokenflint

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »
Pletch  whats the item in the last photo?  cup, salt horn start, band, just artwork?

Broke

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »
If you are looking at the paper at the bottom, it is an application form for the "Honourable Company of Horners".  Art set them out for students who wished to join.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

brokenflint

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:33:29 AM »
no not the paper with the horn photos on it, the item directly above which looks scrimmed, yellow ribbon design and looks to be floating over wood base. 

Broke

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:44:10 AM »
Sorry, I misunderstood.  It's a small horn cup.  It's sitting on a small wire support on a wood base.  The scrim elements are Tansel.  The eagle is a common Tansel object and the border is the Tansel drapery.   I think there are a couple of views in pics 9,10,12.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

brokenflint

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 03:28:13 AM »
What's the bottom of the cup made from?  this also horn or wood like a powder horn plug?

Broke

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 04:12:50 AM »
They had bottoms made of horn, beautifully done BTW.
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

brokenflint

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »
Ok Pletch I ain't lettin this on die a natural death LOL !  How's the horn plug attached?

Broke

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 12:06:05 AM »
Ok Pletch I ain't lettin this on die a natural death LOL !  How's the horn plug attached?
Broke

Art suggested using the type of attachment that matched the local area.  On the Lancaster screw tips, which many of our group did, small iron nails were formed from 1/16" wire or a small finish nail.  These were peened in a vise to make a hand formed head.  For the Lancasters, 4 or 5 nails was the suggestion.  (I'm going to use 5 on mine.)  I believe the southern screw tips used more.  In these decisions we were guided by the originals.  One area in PA used thorns for the attachment peg.  Right now I can't remember where that was.  Art or Jeff may come to my rescue here.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 01:41:03 AM »
Ok Pletch I ain't lettin this on die a natural death LOL !  How's the horn plug attached?

Broke

BF,

I am assuming that you are talking about the bottom of the horn cup.  A cup like the one shown is turned on a lathe and a groove is machined on the inside diameter of the cup near the bottom.  I have used a "V" groove.  Then a flat piece of horn is made with the outside diameter of this piece matching the groove in the body of the cup.  Both pieces are heated and the piece of horn for the bottom is set into the horn from the large end and pushed down into the cup until it falls in place in the groove in the body of the cup.  If done right there is no need for any kind of sealant.  There are no pins or nails used in the construction of these horn cups.  I have only made a couple of horn cups so I guess others might have a slightly different method of making them, but basically this is how they are made.

Randy Hedden

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:43:27 AM by Randy Hedden »
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 02:05:55 AM »
BF and Randy,
I guess I was tunneled in on the horns.  It's obvious that my answer was not about the bottom of the horn cup.  We didn't discuss cup-making in the class.  Randy's answer sounds fine to me.  Sorry I didn't get dialed in on the question you asked.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 02:55:07 AM »
Pletch,

I have made horns for many years, but the great majority of horns I made were the F&I War style horns.  I have become interested in the screw/applied tip horns about the last two years.  I was not aware that the pins for the butt plugs varied in material used in various different locations where they were made.  Interesting to say the least.

Randy Hedden

brokenflint

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 02:55:31 AM »
To quote myself "How's the horn plug attached?"  I wasn't to specfic, easy to misinterpret that one Pletch  ;)

Randy  Thanks,   So let me see if I have this right, I would cut the horn to desired height + rabbet dimension.  make a plug to form the inside and hold the cup in the lathe, turn the outside to uniform dimension, cut the rabbet.  Heat etc per your instructions Randy.

Broke

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 07:36:12 AM »
BF,

Actually this type of cup is turned on the inside and the outside.  You had better not cut it to length first as you will need something to hang on to when machining the ID and OD.  I don't have a good wood lathe so I work on a small metal lathe and always have to do some extra operations whenever I am working on horns and such.  I would imagine that having a good wood lathe with a chuck to hold pieces would make such operations much easier.

Randy Hedden

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 03:59:32 PM »
Pfletch, great pics on the class and the progressive tutorial.  Your horn turned out great.   Good job.

Randy, thanks for the horn cup info, good to know. 

Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

brokenflint

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 06:16:16 PM »
Pletch, Randy and all you other horners, what's the lathe that was setup at the workshop, looks like only the headstock in one of the photos.  I have a Rikon mini lathe, this do the trick?

Broke

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 11:46:09 PM »
The lathe we spun the horns on is the one I think you are talking about.  Art took the head stock, spun it 180 degrees, and and faced it the opposite direction.  It now faces to the right off the end, opposite the ways.  This was done because the lathe didn't have enough swing to handle the horn body.

Art then took off the tail stock from the wood lathe and mounted his little Sears (Atlas) metal lathe to the now empty ways.  So as you look at the whole thing, it looks like the metal lathe has an extra head stock on one end.  Take a look at pics 2,3,4 on part 1 and you can probably see this.  Whether you can do this on your lathe depends on how slow you can turn.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com