Author Topic: What lies beneath this rough exterior?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Chocktaw Brave

What lies beneath this rough exterior?
« on: April 24, 2022, 07:12:25 AM »
I’m still whittling away on my full stock Hawken project, but this future project came looking for me. What style of flintlock would this blank be good for? I picked it up at a local gun show for a good price.
Looks It will take a barrel length of 44”, and the drop is about 3-1/4”. Plenty of thickness to shape out something nice.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: What lies beneath this rough exterior?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 02:33:21 PM »
Personally I don’t want to build a gun of a certain school that looks right, but I can’t shoot comfortably or well. In a situation like this I look closely at the fore stock to see how much meat is there vertically. See how you can place your blueprint. A quarter inch can make a difference in how a gun mounts.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 04:24:32 PM »
I have only bought one stock from DGW years ago. Softest piece of stock wood i have ever seen. If it's soft i would sell it off.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 06:07:35 PM »
I’m no wood expert, but it seems like a piece of maple. I haven’t cut on it yet, but did accidently hit it on the butt stock edge while carting it home, it didn’t dent much like a softer wood, would.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 07:13:28 PM »
Try to scratch it with your thumbnail, ideally your thumbnail should skate off and make it very difficult to mar the surface of the board. If your nail digs in the blank is soft. Soft wood is difficult to work with, your tools are going to have to be exceedingly sharp at all times to fight the mushy cuts of a softer wood, making good inlets much more difficult to achieve among other things. Also, rasps will brutalize boards that are too soft.

When buying blanks, look for something hard with good grain that flows through the wrist without any runout or defects, grain runout or defects in the wrist can cause it to fracture there later on down the road.