Author Topic: Alabama/Tennessee Builder  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Longhunter09

• Starting Member
Alabama/Tennessee Builder
« on: April 24, 2022, 09:47:48 PM »
I am looking for a builder to complete a mostly finished rifle.

I have a long history with this rifle. When I was 18 I was heavily involved with trekking in the Shenandoah Valley and WV. A good friend of mine was an apprentice of a builder. At 18 I didn't have much money, but wanted a nice rifle. The builder was kind enough to take me around Dixons and help me select components for an iron-mounted Southern Virginia Rifle. I got a good piece of wood, a swamped Getz 50 caliber barrel, a Siler lock, and all other parts.

My friend started the build. Life happened. I joined the Army and was sent overseas several times and started a family and civilian career afterwards, and my friend took a new job.

Years went by and we lost touch. I am in North Central AL now. I recently was back visiting home when I called my old friend to reconnect. Turns out he had done a lot of work on the rifle over the years and it was close to finished. He doesn't build rifles anymore and after 17 years I was finally able to get the rifle in my hands.

It is mostly complete. It still needs a touch-hole drilled, ramrod thimbles added (which I have - The wood has already been inlet for them), sights, patch-box, toe cap, and finishing.

My friend recommended I finish the rifle myself. However, I have neither the experience nor the tools to finish it myself. Even if I did I would be afraid that I would mess it up. Can anyone recommend a builder within a reasonable drive of North Central Alabama who might be willing to take a look at this?

Thank you!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 11:56:19 PM by Longhunter09 »

Offline Daryl

Re: Alabama/Tennessee Builder
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 11:47:05 PM »
Looks pretty good to me.
Welcome to the forum.
Not much left to do.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Longhunter09

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 11:55:25 PM »
Thank you, sir. My friend is incredibly talented, and I am very fortunate to have a rifle of his. He recommended taking my time and finishing it myself, but I have no experience with even basic woodworking or metal-working, much less working on a fine rifle.

Offline BruceH

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 12:03:23 AM »
The Alabama NMLRA Territorial Match is being held next weekend at the Brierfield Ironworks State Park.  The 29th, 30th and 1st.  That should not be too far for you to come by.  There will be some builders there and plenty of the shooters will gladly give you pointers on finishing it.

Bruce

Offline Longhunter09

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 02:24:45 AM »
That's not far at all. I will try to get out there after church. Thanks!

Offline BruceH

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 03:30:52 AM »
If you are talking about going Sunday.  The shoot ends at noon.  You would be better to go either Friday or Saturday if you can.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 03:32:35 AM »
Being from north Alabama, I can suggest a couple of people in the northern part of the state:

Jim "Bama" Parker, in Warrior AL, who is on ALR, and at https://www.facebook.com/calvarylongreifles

Keith Lisle just north of Bham, http://www.custommuzzleloaders.com/ and also ALR

I know some other folks too, but they mostly work for themselves.

Hope this helps; keep us posted on your progress. ALR will be an invaluable resource for you.

Carl close to Cullman, AL
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 04:00:21 AM »
Jim Parker is a great builder, and loves the Southern mountain rifle.
He is in Warrior Ala.  Look up Calvary Longrifles, Warrior Ala.
Really nice fellow, great smith. He even offers classes, where he can overlook you finishing your rifle. Give him a call.

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Longhunter09

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 12:51:41 PM »
Thank you for the responses everyone. I had contacted Mr. Parker and Mr. Lisle since they are so close to me. Neither are able to finish the rifle, but both were incredibly helpful and offered suggestions. A gentleman from the forum several states away also contacted me and I will be calling him today.

That being said, if that doesn't work out I may attempt it myself. I'm one of those guys who is all thumbs and have next to no experience with woodworking or gunsmithing outside of shop class in High School and assembling AR-15 lowers (I am the indisputed lost takedown detent world champion). But I think if I take my time, do a lot of research, acquire some basic tools, and practice on some loose wood and metal before working on this I might be able to tackle it. Fortunately it seems like there are many extremely talented individuals who have shared resources for folks like me both here and elsewhere. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 05:34:02 PM »
I could do it but I learned long ago not to work on pieces that others started because there are always hidden gremlins from the first builder that you have to deal with.

I have a gunsmith friend in Florence Al that might do it, he has been building M/Ls for at least 40 years. He is the real deal and very precise in his work. He will be at Briarfield more than likely, his thing now is shooting bench rifles that he makes.

Look up Bruce Mc Kelvey at Briarfield, I can give you his contact number by PM if you want to give him a call. Lately he has been assembling a Kibler or two for people, I have seen this work and it is top notch.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 12:47:30 AM »
A couple of those obvious gremlins if you take on the work yourself - looks to be a wood patch glued in on each side just behind the lock panels, will probably take stain differently when finished.  May take some effort to blend in.  Also, not sure what's going on with the wrist with the bolt all the way through to the rear end of the trigger plate.  Can think of a couple options to fix that, but should be addressed.
 Trigger plate doesn't look seated flush in the back, too.

But even with those things, you are really close to a shooting gun!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 05:54:33 AM »
Had to go back and check as the muzzle "shot" looked like the Getz rifling profile on Taylor's Verner rifle.
Before shooting it, you'll want to smooth up the machine cuts on the crown, to allow easy loading of snug combinations.
The end of your thumb and some 320 emery or wet/dry paper will smooth that up nicely in to a nice radius. Let us know
when you are ready to do that & we'll help you through the process. It's easy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:56:03 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Longhunter09

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 02:44:20 PM »
Thank you to everyone for the incredibly helpful and informative advice. A gentleman from here was kind enough to offer his assistance with this project. I will continue to update this thread. One thing is certain, this rifle will one day finally put food on my family's table.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 04:14:36 AM »
Looks like it wouldn’t hurt to run a patch of wd40 down the barrel!

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 05:23:48 AM »
Tony Maples here.
I live in Smokerise, a bit south of Cullman.
Home phone : 205-647-3223
Cell : 404-839-7040, preferred
I can knock it out for you. 40 plus yrs exp.
Retired and no longer building for the public.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2023, 10:59:27 PM »
Well here it is today…

So far…
New nose cap so the whole fore stock could go on a diet.
Completed the barrel wedges.
Changed over to set triggers and reposition the trigger guard, since the original pull trigger was incorrectly positioned and was nonfunctional.
Fabricated and installed a patchbox.
Engraved, carved and finished.
Just awaiting the lock which needed some repair…

I’m anxious to deliver it.  😉

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2023, 12:01:53 AM »
I really like that pivoting patchbox lid with the surround.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2023, 04:59:03 PM »
Fabulous job Jeff, I think he found the right builder to help him out.

Jim
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Longhunter09

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2023, 04:46:01 PM »
I still can't believe how fortunate I am that Jeff took on this task, especially given all the little gremlins that were hidden in there. The pictures show a rifle that is beyond my expectations and am sure will look even better in person. I can't wait to get this rifle in the north Alabama woods this fall.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2023, 05:07:38 PM »
You really hit the lottery when Jeff agreed to take on your project, he is one of the best! That rifle is stunning, you'll have a grin from ear to ear when you pick it up. Congrats.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2023, 05:12:06 PM »
Yes indeed, Jeff did a fabulous job with your project. Jeff is a very talented builder and a truly nice fella, congratulations and I hope you have success with this fall.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Longhunter09

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2023, 11:59:58 PM »
It has been a long 18 years since this project started, and it felt amazing to finally shoot her. I didn't think it was possible, but she actually shoots even better than she looks! I am still in awe of Jeff's craftsmanship, and am incredibly appreciative that he took on this project.

Me and my trekking buddies 18 years ago. The fellow on the right is my good friend who started the project.

First shot!

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2023, 12:40:22 AM »
Congratulations. You got a nice one. I was lucky enough handle it a couple of weeks ago.
W
Stop Marxism in America

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2023, 02:59:33 AM »
It has been a long 18 years since this project started, and it felt amazing to finally shoot her. I didn't think it was possible, but she actually shoots even better than she looks! I am still in awe of Jeff's craftsmanship, and am incredibly appreciative that he took on this project.

Me and my trekking buddies 18 years ago. The fellow on the right is my good friend who started the project.

First shot!

Love that smile behind the rifle. 

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2023, 04:35:49 AM »
Good "Stuff". Well done, Jeff.
Daryl