Author Topic: duplex shot loads  (Read 1187 times)

Offline k morgan

• Starting Member
duplex shot loads
« on: April 24, 2022, 10:22:04 PM »
has anyone tried a duplex shot load for turkeys

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: duplex shot loads
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 10:39:12 PM »
 Actually the target zone on a wild turkey is about the size of your hand, so you either need a tight pattern, or some big shot. I use #4’s but my hunting buddy use what he calls 4 for 8’s, which is a mixture of shot sizes. We mostly hunt pheasant but have shot a few turkeys as well.
 The most important thing in loading muzzleloading shotguns is to not put over heavy wads, or over lubed wads, or too heavy overshot cards in the mix. They will blow a hole in your pattern every time.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 11:57:18 PM »
Generally heavier 1/2" wads, lubed or not, placed under the shot, will blow the patterns.
The Skychief load has a heavily lubed 1/2" wad OVER the shot and this does not blow the patterns, usually,
or this type of load would lack it's obvious popularity. What it most effectively does, is lubricate the bore and
the shot charge being discharged., which is why many use Olive Oil for the lube.
Mixed shot is common with a lot of people. Even some modern companies mix shot sizes, usually 4's and 6's
for the current brand I am thinking about.
Smaller number, larger and fewer pellets in a given volume or weight of shot charge. The finer the shot(larger #),
the greater the chance of striking the spine and brain.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 12:00:26 AM »
Amen on the 4s. Ive tried several duplex loads over the yrs. 4s mixed with 5s and also 4s mixed with 2s and have killed birds with both combos. I stick to 4s alone most often.  The main most important thing is get him in close an shoot him in the face an you will be eating turkey for supper. 
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 02:45:24 PM »
I use #7s with 13 #2s on top of the 7s. These #2s stay in the center of the pattern and give me a few heavy hitters. I like #7s because I get more pellets per oz. If you keep your shots less than 25 yards there isn't a turkey that can stand it. #7s have plenty of penetration to go through head and neck of a turkey. I've used #7 1/2s too with good results.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 08:25:02 PM »
There is good evidence that the fine shot works on upland and waterfowl as well. Years ago, I read an article by Peter Hathaway Capstik on the use of
7 1/2's and 8's for pass shooting birds over decoys was well as for 'ground slooshing" crips on the water. The reason being the fine shot had all the pen
needed for heads and necks and would rarely penetrate the feathers. I tried it and it worked. 
It will also work on turkeys, especially at close range - penetrating head and neck, but not the feathers.
Daryl

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 08:53:51 PM »
Most of the times that I used #7’s or #7 1/2 they were like throwing a handful of gravel at a barn door. This size shot in a black powder gun has no range, and is rarely effect. The smallest I’ve used that consistently put game in the bag was #6, and #5’s are better yet. I find black powder velocities to low for the smaller shot.

Hungry Horse

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 06:39:33 PM »
Most of the times that I used #7’s or #7 1/2 they were like throwing a handful of gravel at a barn door. This size shot in a black powder gun has no range, and is rarely effect. The smallest I’ve used that consistently put game in the bag was #6, and #5’s are better yet. I find black powder velocities to low for the smaller shot.

Hungry Horse

There you have it folks. Straight from "the horse's mouth."
All those whom have claimed to use #6 and #7/7 1/2 shot successfully were either mistaken in what they were using or lying I guess.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 06:44:05 PM »
Get them close and it's more fun.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 10:52:04 PM »
I am interested to hear about mixed shot sizes.  I do not shoot fowling guns, but am always interested in ballistics.

I would think that mixed shot sizes would have varying trajectories. 

I knew pilots who flew the P-39 in combat, with a mixture of machine guns and a 37mm cannon.  They said the cannon was useless in the air, as the trajectory was nowhere near the machine guns. 

Please tell me more.

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 01:28:00 AM »
I suspect the heavier shot in a Duplex load might make for or cause a longer shot string, due to having better ballistic properties than the lighter, smaller shot
when launched at the same speed.
This, of course is more critical in shooting "flying" game, than standing or walking game.
Daryl

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 09:51:40 PM »
You put the larger shot on top of smaller shot because the smaller shot slows down faster. If you simply mix shot sizes the patterns are not very uniform. In the case of machine guns verses cannons on aircraft I'd assume cannon velocity is slower.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:53 PM »
I use a #4 / #6 combo, because a guy gave me a two liter bottle of it. I have never lost a turkey that I have unloaded on.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 10:58:00 PM »
You put the larger shot on top of smaller shot because the smaller shot slows down faster. If you simply mix shot sizes the patterns are not very uniform. In the case of machine guns verses cannons on aircraft I'd assume cannon velocity is slower.

Exactly, which is why shot columns (stringing) are spread out even more. Again, on stationary game, this makes no difference.
Daryl