Author Topic: Mid-18th Century English Sporting Rifle  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Mid-18th Century English Sporting Rifle
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2022, 09:25:02 PM »
Dave, my vote is the same as Richard (Pukka) above.

I love looking at these rifles, and even more, holding and firing them.  Your creations are always top-of-the-heap, showing great attention to detail, and very meticulous carving, wire inlay, and inlet metal work.

I always strive to emulate you, and although generally failing at it, continue to try.  Don't have a lot of years left to me, but nevertheless, I keep on trying.

Many thanks for providing a great example to all the rest of us.

Craig
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2022, 06:04:16 PM »
Beautiful color with that stain! I've got a batch of red oil brewing and your stock makes me impatient to put it to use.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2022, 11:30:39 PM »
Thanks folks,
I appreciate the comments.  Hopefully, I'll get out and shoot it this week.  Blacktail, good luck with your red oil.  It really is fantastic on walnut.  However, this stock needed a little more because it had a pale grey-brown color that you occasionally see in English walnut. It needed more substance than just the red oil tint so I added a little Laurel Mountain Forge walnut stain to the mix.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2022, 11:55:14 PM »
Dave - do you know when the wide V rear sights combined with bead front sights evolved in England?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2022, 01:28:41 AM »
Hi Daryl,
No, I don't.  Are you referring to rifles or pistols?  I do know that design was used extensively for dueling pistols beginning perhaps in the 1770s.  The rear sight was a wide "V" or "U" so the shooter could acquire his target quick and snap shoot. Contrary to popular myth, it was perfectly acceptable to aim your pistol using sights but it was supposed to be fast and snap shooting. You were not supposed to take slow, deliberate aim.  However, they did just that when they really hated each other like Aaron Burr's hatred of Hamilton.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2022, 02:14:31 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts on the sighting.  I then wonder, perhaps if the wide V for rifles then perhaps evolved from the 'speed' idea of the dueling pistols.
After all, at times speed is necessary when shooting dangerous game.

Forsyth wrote that all the leaves (no standing sight) should be folded when carrying the rifle and quick aim could be taken over the breech, as the larger diameter of
the barrel(s) breech, would give necessary elevation to the ball.
Daryl

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2022, 03:33:14 AM »
Daryl's question on sights makes me wonder how early the " forward leaning " rear sight, that is used on a lot of rifles for heavy game now days. Is this a fairly recent trend or was it used say in the late 19th century or earlier? :-\

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2022, 04:19:54 PM »
Regarding the wide open Vee, sight Daryl,

It was used in the 16th and 17th Century to some extent .....  Matchlock target rifles and such.
 Still my favourite rear sight for most work.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2022, 08:40:39 PM »
I like it too, Richard. I find it easier to shoot than the U or tight V normally used. With these sights, there is a lot more fuzziness with my old eyes.
The top of the rear sight is very difficult for me to "see" to to extra fuzziness and multiple 'top" lines (which is correct?) rear sights with blades.
The wide open V and bead are easier to see and use.
Daryl

Offline Bonnie54

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2022, 01:48:08 PM »
Speechless. Absolutely stunning! Looking forward to meeting you soon! These photos inspire me to become a better builder! Thank you
Brett Davis