Author Topic: WTB: #11 Magnum Percussion Caps  (Read 2197 times)

Offline dhillebrand

• Starting Member
WTB: #11 Magnum Percussion Caps
« on: April 27, 2022, 08:39:05 PM »
Where can I buy #11 Magnum Percussion Caps?  Went online but they were Chinese scams.  Fortunately I didn't bite.

Offline Rusticbob

• Starting Member
Re: WTB: #11 Magnum Percussion Caps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 08:50:10 PM »
You are lucky if you find any. I bought 500 Schutzen caps from muzzleloader supply because I can’t find any #11. I also bought 5 lbs of real black from Grafs, and a flintlock rifle. I have plenty of flints. If you can find a musket cap nipple for your gun, that might be the direction to go in, at least temporarily.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are, TR

Offline tecum-tha

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 01:34:28 AM »
Maybe not the magnums, but in our neck of the woods Walmart carries #11 in the sporting goods department especially nearing hunting season.
That means they can get it. I would talk to the sporting goods order manager and ask them if they can order you a 1000 or more.
They will be able to let you know if they can get it.

Offline BillF/TRF

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 04:11:35 AM »
What do you think about filing down the base of a 1/4-28 nipple a few thousands of an inch to effectively lengthen the cone so that the Remington #10 cap would fire?  The #10 cap is quite common around here and maybe a stop-gap measure until the supply chain gets worked out for the #11.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 08:49:44 PM »
BillF/TRF - I have done exactly that to use the #10's I have. An electric drill held in a bench vise was what I used with a file,
before I had a lathe. Even with the lathe, I use a file for reducing the diameter for #10's. Track's stainless nipples were what
was used as well. They have pretty close to whatever thread you might require.  I am currently using a hotshot nipple, but I
should note that testing in the 80's showed me the hotshots were not as accurate in my 14 bore, as-were normal solid shank
nipples. (I used to do a LOT of testing for accuracy).

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline BillF/TRF

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 11:12:24 PM »
BillF/TRF - I have done exactly that to use the #10's I have. An electric drill held in a bench vise was what I used with a file,
before I had a lathe. Even with the lathe, I use a file for reducing the diameter for #10's. Track's stainless nipples were what
was used as well. They have pretty close to whatever thread you might require.  I am currently using a hotshot nipple, but I
should note that testing in the 80's showed me the hotshots were not as accurate in my 14 bore, as-were normal solid shank

Daryl, according to a chart I found by Mako dated 2011, the I.D. of the Rem #10 cap is the same as the CCI #11 cap at 0.166".  The big difference is the internal heights where Rem #10 is at 0.144" and CCI #11 is at 0.113".  That would cause and ignition problem with the Rem #10 and my nipple cone (as measured above base) at 0.142". That is why I am wondering if I could take off a few hundreths of an inch from the base of the cone in order to use the Rem #10?  Bill

Offline LynnC

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 02:07:02 AM »
I saw CCI no. 11 magnum caps at my local gun shop today for a mere $19.99 per 100 count tin....I left em right there.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 03:59:42 AM »
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 04:07:21 AM »

Daryl, according to a chart I found by Mako dated 2011, the I.D. of the Rem #10 cap is the same as the CCI #11 cap at 0.166".  The big difference is the internal heights where Rem #10 is at 0.144" and CCI #11 is at 0.113".  That would cause and ignition problem with the Rem #10 and my nipple cone (as measured above base) at 0.142". That is why I am wondering if I could take off a few hundreths of an inch from the base of the cone in order to use the Rem #10?  Bill

Ahh- I just measured my Rem. #12's at .150" and my CCI #10's at .180".
You could lengthen the cone by turning a bit off the bottom of the cone where it hits the wrench seat, yes- but 20 or 30 thou. should do it.
Daryl

Offline LynnC

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 04:58:08 AM »
Daryl.......That was similar to my reaction.

It quickly became “Leverite”

As in “Leave it right there”
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Bison

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2022, 07:19:59 AM »
I've got tons of magnum #11 cci caps. Would love to trade for standard #11 caps. Also have lots of #10 caps that I would trade for standard #11 caps. Obviously can't ship. I live in Western CO but drive I70 thru Denver to I80 to Tampico IL every week.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 01:20:40 AM »
What is a MAGNUM cap? Does it have a  longer flame duration of a more potent fulminate.

Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 02:11:21 AM »
I suspect, although don't know same as primers, Bob, greater brisance AND longer duration.
Daryl

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 05:55:30 AM »
Impossible to find them here. And I just picked up a .58 cal double rifle that takes them. I’m going to have to convert to 209 primers I guess.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 08:54:06 PM »
Seriously,  how does that work, converting nipple and hammer to work with pistol or rifle primers is one thing.
I can not see converting it to shotshell primers. I don't know how that would work. Perhaps same gizmo on
larger scale, I suppose?
You can "turn" size 11 nipples down to "take" size 10 caps.
You can reduce the height of DR's nipples to make the fences actually work as intended.
This was my .58 Kodiak.
1st picture is as received, the rest, as modified and re-finished.

Daryl

Offline BillF/TRF

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2022, 02:30:59 AM »

Ahh- I just measured my Rem. #12's at .150" and my CCI #10's at .180".
You could lengthen the cone by turning a bit off the bottom of the cone where it hits the wrench seat, yes- but 20 or 30 thou. should do it.

I just tried a longer #10 cap on the nipple that is designed for a #11 cap and it fires every time!  The #10 cap just mushrooms out at the base. 

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2022, 05:39:57 AM »
OP, glad you found something that works, I haven’t seen #10 caps either. But I have plenty of shotgun primers.
Nice job on the wood Daryl!
Here is the kit I ordered. From Pedersoli, carried by Cabelas. I had to order online because we don’t have a Cabela’s here.

Offline poppy

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2022, 06:06:18 PM »
may I ask, why you need magnum caps.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2022, 10:12:11 PM »
OP, glad you found something that works, I haven’t seen #10 caps either. But I have plenty of shotgun primers.
Nice job on the wood Daryl!
Here is the kit I ordered. From Pedersoli, carried by Cabelas. I had to order online because we don’t have a Cabela’s here.

That is similar to the device I made when I lived in Smithers and could not buy caps of any sort. Mine was for use with pistol primers.
I made it with my poor man's lathe, an adjustable speed 3/8" Black and Decker drill held in my bench vice. I used various files for "turning"
the metal "bars" to diameter for hand threading the bodies breech threads and the top cap threads.
Daryl

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2022, 12:26:00 AM »
 I’m with Poppy. Why would you need magnum primers, or even musket primers for that matter. The breach on these guns are direct ignition from the nipple into the powder charge. A @$#% would set them off, unless you are trying to ignite smokeless.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2022, 06:24:00 AM »
Or Pyrodex or T 7?
Daryl

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2022, 06:40:20 PM »
I made a primer ignition adapter and used large rifle primers but saw no advantage to it and had to remove the upprt parts to remove the dead primer and reassemble it after putting in a new one.Back in the "day"I remember seeing cans of King's semi smokeless powder at Farris's Gun Shop in Portsmouth,Ohio and he told me it was discontinued and when it was gone that was it.Maybe the primer adapter came along to help fire this powder but then it may have been a gadget to make a few dollars with.I think the "Magnum" designation is another sales gimmick to promote sales and use.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2022, 06:52:41 PM »
I finally bought a Forester Tap-O-Cap and made own caps. Our beer and pop cans in the late 70's were made from steel, not aluminum. Had to sharpem it now and then due to the steel. I made my own detonating compound.
Daryl