Author Topic: He Says He Can Make It Into A Flintlock  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Marcruger

Re: He Says He Can Make It Into A Flintlock
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 06:35:31 PM »
Hi Jack,

As you get more familiar with longrifles, you'll start to notice the architecture, or lines of a gun more.  That is the foundation on which all of the appearance hinges.  You can add carving, engraving and shiny bling to an armadillo, but it will still look like an armadillo. 

If carving, engraving and bling are added, it needs to be tasteful of in the style and period of the gun.  Again, study up before sinking money into a gun.  I would suggest looking at guns that were made in your area, or the area your family is from.  I am from the Carolinas, and so studied books on Carolina guns.  That helped me narrow and inform my tastes.  One cannot know everything about all guns from all areas. 

A gun does not need carving, engraving or any bling to be beautiful if the lines are right.  Look at some graceful Appalachian guns.  Gillespie.  Hughes.  No adornment, but great beauty.  Check out Jan Riser's attached photo of a Matthew Gillespie. 

I would also suggest thinking about drop to the stock.  I like and appreciate a fairly straight, high comb.  It works best for me.  Try some and see how your eye aligns with the sights.  I find a lot of drop to be very awkward. 

I would also not buy a gun with an off-brand barrel and lock.  They are the heart and brain of a gun.  Cheaping out on the lock and barrel can produce misery over time if not good quality.  An unreliable lock and inaccurate barrel are a blight.  There is a reason companies like Chambers, Green Mountain and others are respected.

Also, detail inspect a barrel inside before buying.  There are many muzzleloaders who do not thoroughly clean a bore, or follow some old wives' tale that results in a ruined bore.  Fake Black Powder will also eat up a bore. Beware.  I would get a return privilege if buying sight unseen. 

I hope this helps a little.   Just my 5 cents worth.   Other's opinions will vary.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2022, 02:44:41 AM »
Personally, I think the rifle is $#@*, a vain attempt of "going over the top" with the decorative arts. His write up, however, makes me think he should run for some political office.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2022, 05:25:20 AM »
People don’t know what they don’t know.
Andover, Vermont