General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Kibler's SMR stock question

(1/3) > >>

bob in the woods:
I have been seriously considering purchasing one in .45, however I noticed that there is no cast off on this rifle. All of my guns to date have cast off to some degree.
I'm wondering how this affects one's shooting re bringing the rifle to firing position ?
When I bring up my .54 , as an example, with my eyes closed, I'm pretty much on target when I open my eyes. I don't want to have to " work" at getting my sight picture.  I hope I've explained this properly.  I'd appreciate comments from those who have these rifles re the zero cast off.
Thanks

Mike Brooks:
I have handled dozens of these teaching the kibler kit class a d I find they fit me and most others well.

bob in the woods:
Thank you Mr Brooks.  Is the no cast off due to the rifle being shot off the arm rather than the shoulder ?   That was my initial reasoning.

Dennis Glazener:
I have owned several of Jim's SMR's and all have fit me fine and I shot them from the shoulder not the bicep. I never missed the 1/4" or so of cast off I normally put in my own rifles. I only wish he offered a 38" inch barreled version.
Dennis

alacran:
I just shot a friends Kibler SMR in .45 last week. No it doesn't come up as well as one with cast off.
It is very light and would hold better if it was in .36 cal. Of course I am talking about offhand shooting. I find it to be whippy in .45.
As it is, it would be excellent for hunting.  It is light to carry, long sight radius and .45 is just enough for deer in most states that have caliber restrictions.
No cast off was probably an ease of manufacturing decision.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version