Author Topic: Kibler's SMR stock question  (Read 1593 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Kibler's SMR stock question
« on: May 01, 2022, 04:23:25 AM »
I have been seriously considering purchasing one in .45, however I noticed that there is no cast off on this rifle. All of my guns to date have cast off to some degree.
I'm wondering how this affects one's shooting re bringing the rifle to firing position ?
When I bring up my .54 , as an example, with my eyes closed, I'm pretty much on target when I open my eyes. I don't want to have to " work" at getting my sight picture.  I hope I've explained this properly.  I'd appreciate comments from those who have these rifles re the zero cast off.
Thanks

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Kibler's SMR stock question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 05:36:11 AM »
I have handled dozens of these teaching the kibler kit class a d I find they fit me and most others well.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 06:41:07 AM »
Thank you Mr Brooks.  Is the no cast off due to the rifle being shot off the arm rather than the shoulder ?   That was my initial reasoning.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 01:54:45 PM »
I have owned several of Jim's SMR's and all have fit me fine and I shot them from the shoulder not the bicep. I never missed the 1/4" or so of cast off I normally put in my own rifles. I only wish he offered a 38" inch barreled version.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 03:31:50 PM »
I just shot a friends Kibler SMR in .45 last week. No it doesn't come up as well as one with cast off.
It is very light and would hold better if it was in .36 cal. Of course I am talking about offhand shooting. I find it to be whippy in .45.
As it is, it would be excellent for hunting.  It is light to carry, long sight radius and .45 is just enough for deer in most states that have caliber restrictions.
No cast off was probably an ease of manufacturing decision.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 08:57:44 PM »
Bob, I have one of Jims SMR's in .40 cal which is the only one I've handled.  It shoulders nicely and is not a problem acquiring sights.  I'm 6'2" x 235 with 35 inch inseams, in short, a long gangly guy with a food blister.  I love shooting the rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 11:06:47 PM »
I am certain I would find the Kibler SMR in .45 to be too light for rendezvous (accuracy) shooting.
As a deer rifle, it would be just fine. I like my offhand rifles to be over 9 pounds.  Both my .36 SMR (38")and .50
with 44" are actually a bit light for standing shooting.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 01:10:33 AM »
I own several SMR rifle.  For me and my face, the sights are a hair to low as supplied.  The distance between my eye and cheekbone is apparently a hair longer than average.  I make new sights that are about 1/8" higher.  The sights then line up just right. 

The stock could be modified also. 

Adding cast off will have a similar effect as more drop (or higher sights).  I am sure Jim made the stock to be usable the majority of shooters.  I would not worry about it.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 06:36:29 PM by Scota4570 »

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 06:40:35 PM »
I built 2 Kibler SMR, .36 and .32 (got the .32 last Tuesday and shot it yesterday) and both are fine shooters and come up good. Don't think any cast-off would improve their handling. I shoot from the bicep.
aka “digger658”

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 11:13:27 PM »
 The truth of the matter is. Every gun fits every one different.
Try and find someone that has one an check it out..
 Oldtravler

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 11:28:06 PM »
Bob, I don't think you will have ANY trouble with this rifle.  To me, cast-off is usually only needed for rifles with large cheek pieces.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V