Author Topic: Bead Decorated Richard Wilson Trade Gun  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Bead Decorated Richard Wilson Trade Gun
« on: May 05, 2022, 03:02:56 AM »
This project was based on a bead decorated Richard Wilson trade gun shown in T.M Hamilton’s “Colonial Frontier Guns” (1987). I previously posted my version of a beaded Fusil de Chase whose decoration predates this gun by 18 years if the beaded dates indicate the date decorated (1759 vs 1777). The decoration is very similar though the earlier gun has more bead work. Both have a date and initials in the same location leading one to believe that they must be connected somehow. 

The original is believed to be one of the trade guns contracted by Sir William Johnson to keep the natives supplied with guns in the first decades after the French were driven from Canada. Presumably the natives were used to French style guns so Johnson requested this pattern. I think the original in this case dates to the late 1750’s or 1760’s and was part of a contract filled by Richard Wilson.

Though it has some warts, I’m pretty pleased with the way my version turned out. Constructive criticism is welcome.

I started this project in this past March at the SOAW class with Ian Pratt and Ken Gahagan. Highly recommend the class.

I had a nice piece of European beech for the stock and had David Rase inlet the barrel.

The barrel is a 45 3/8” 20 gauge Rice custom profile based on the original. I had to compromise a bit and had to have David Rase thin the breech a bit because my 2” thick blank would not quite accommodate the original 1 3/8” barrel breech.

The original gun had the initials “GG 6” but I changed it to mine, “RW.” I also added the line of beads along the bottom of the butt, just because.

I bought the Chambers Virginia lock already debridled (as was the original). I reshaped the frizzen and cock to more closely match the original. I also added three faux exposed lock screws (main and sear springs, and third lock bolt to match the original. Mike Brooks took care of the engraving for me. The lock worked pretty well though the original was a full ¼ inch longer, almost all in the tail.

The beads were hammered into slightly undersized holes with a drop of super glue. I then melted red wax into each bead. The beads on the Fusil de Chase were set in with red sealing wax and I like the way that it looks so did it on this gun as well. The original Wilson gun apparently did not use red wax, and probably not super glue either.

The dragon/serpent sideplate and the trigger guard are shared with the typical NW Trade Gun. In case you were wondering, the stock is colored principally with ferric nitrate. It worked very well with the beech.

I modified a cast butt plate to match the original. If I did it again I think I would beat one out of sheet brass as this one caused me some issues shaping the butt. Mike Brooks did the very nice engraving.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 04:23:09 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline DaveL

• Starting Member
Re: Bead Decorated Richard Wilson Trade Gun
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 03:14:57 AM »
Well Done!  That turned out really nice

I have enjoyed the threads you’ve started with these beaded guns.  It’s inspired me to plan one for a project of my own.

Thanks for sharing your awesome work and some of the techniques you used

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 03:31:39 AM »
Well Done!  That turned out really nice

I have enjoyed the threads you’ve started with these beaded guns.  It’s inspired me to plan one for a project of my own.

Thanks for sharing your awesome work and some of the techniques you used

Thanks Dave. It has been fun. Quick advice on the doing the beading. Start the holes with an awl so that the drill bit does not wander.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 03:37:01 AM »
Robert,
That project turned out really great.  I really like the stock shape, color and finish.  I like it a lot.
David

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 04:37:26 AM »
Thanks David, your work slimming the barrel was critical! Thanks again.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 05:14:38 AM »
Real good! You are cranking them out! 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 05:41:38 AM »
Thanks Rich. It would be something to get our three beaded guns on the same table! Got one more beaded gun to do; a 1690 ship wreck gun. Got a set of castings for a big dog lock that will test me.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 08:58:20 AM »
That is a way cool gun! Your modifications are very inspirational, how you treat parts as a blank canvas and not a finished product. How did you achieve that barrel look? Thank you. 

Offline FALout

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 12:39:04 PM »
I really like how this rifle turned out, great job on it!  I noticed on these recent builds that the beads have what looks like a hollow head , hence using red wax, are these a specific type of bead and are they like the original (they look it from the pics of originals)?  Maybe I missed something on posts about other beaded rifles.
Bob

Offline guido

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 01:41:50 PM »
Robert, this gun is a totally off the chart cool. You've been working hard! As I said, I love the direction your guns are going. This had to be fun!

Offline DHouse

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 03:14:11 PM »
Awesome character to this piece! I love the level of 'age' and patina you gave it. Great color on the whole thing.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 04:06:52 PM »
Super cool build. Your addition of beads on the low line if the stock really set it off.

May i ask how you colored the serpent side plate. Im about to do one. Thanks
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 04:20:31 PM »
To answer  a few questions -

The beads are standard glass trade beads. I forget what "number" these are but the ones I used vary around 4mm. They are like the ones on the original guns.

The barrel was rust browned for about 4 days without carding. It was then scrubbed back hard with a scotch brite pad wet with WD40 followed by black shoe polish melted in with a heat gun.

The side plate was sanded down to make it look worn then was colored with a product from Birchwood Technologies called Antique Brown followed by a heavy buildup of black and brown shoe polish.

And yes, the project was great fun. Thanks for all the nice comments.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 07:32:16 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2022, 04:27:58 PM »
 Robert very well done. I am currently looking at building a type  " G "  trade gun. This gun has the serpent side plate as well. But the butt plate is flat.
 On this type of gun is the side plate inletted ? or it doesn't matter either way..?
  Oldtravler

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2022, 04:29:18 PM »
Seriously nice work Robert!
I usually steer away from beads and tacks, but this one looks so Good I really like the effect!!

Great job!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2022, 04:38:07 PM »
Cool beans man!  I wondered what was up with the holes drilled and plugged on the lock plate. BTW everybody ought to know I thought his parts were lost in the mail for several days. Mr. Wolf dropped me a note asking how his project was going and I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Evidently, I received the box while I was away at F-ship teaching a Kibler class. Of course my wife didn't know anything about the box. ::) I finally found it in the firewood box. :o I didn't even ask how it got in there.
 I had plans to make one of these beaded guns 10 years ago. I still have plans..... ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 05:05:03 PM »
Thanks Mike. And, I can't tell you how relieved I was when you found the parts. I was not looking forward to making a new butt plate to fit the inlet!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline LynnC

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 05:21:16 PM »
Thanks for the serpent info Robert. Nice gun
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2022, 05:38:50 PM »
Robert very well done. I am currently looking at building a type  " G "  trade gun. This gun has the serpent side plate as well. But the butt plate is flat.
 On this type of gun is the side plate inletted ? or it doesn't matter either way..?
  Oldtravler

The side plate should be inlet. The standard trade gun trigger guard is not inlet.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline jrb

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 08:28:14 PM »
Super nice! and one of the most fascinating of trade guns.

Offline jrb

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 08:37:40 PM »
  Oldtravler

type G serpent inlet also but not the triggerguard

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2022, 02:22:57 AM »
  Thank you Robert...

Stonehouse john

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2022, 05:22:23 AM »
That is very, very nice work Robert!  I like everything about the way you did this piece.  Your attention to detail and going to the extra trouble/expense to get every part really right shines through in the end result.  These particular earlier trade pieces in general really speak to me.  I had an ancestor who was one of the natives that Johnson supplied with these weapons (and who later died fighting with Johnson at the battle of Lake George).  This one of yours carries the spirit of those pieces on.  Thanks for sharing it!

John

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2022, 03:52:25 AM »
A couple of people expressed an interest in the beading process. Here is how I did it, not necessarily the right way, but, how I did it.

I used an awl to mark each hole location so that the drill bit did not wander.

I drilled to depth by feel rather than with a stop as I did not want to risk marking the stock. If I went too deep I put a pinch of sawdust in the hole. I put a drop of super glue in each hole.

I used a plastic tipped hammer do drive the beads home. The beads vary in size and those on the larger end of the spectrum required a reqular metal hammer.

For letters and numbers I made a paper template and hammered the awl through that.

I warmed the stock with a heat gun and dripped wax onto each bead. I then melted it again with the heat gun and rubbed it in with my finger. Heated it again and wiped off the excess.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline FALout

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2022, 03:59:16 AM »
Thanks for showing how you did the beads, nice to know if in the future I might want to do something like this.  At present I have no interest, but you never know.  I also believe an old dog can always learn a new trick.
Thanks
Bob