Author Topic: Walnut Kibler .45cal SMR long wait.  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Tacitus

• Starting Member
Walnut Kibler .45cal SMR long wait.
« on: May 05, 2022, 10:37:49 AM »
Four month wait from placing order until receiving kit (supply issues) can't be helped these days, but the wait was well worth it. I think Mr. Kibler is quite generous in his wood grading. This walnut stock has plenty of figure and produced a very nice golden red walnut tone. Of course my amateur photography efforts don't do full justice to the appearance.
 For those who wonder what skill or experience level is necessary to complete a Kibler kit. This makes rifle number six I have completed. Four previous kits and one full build from a blank stock, all done in my workshop. I am by no measure what so ever in the same league of artisans as the many master craftsmen who display their works of art on this sight. To the contrary I am all thumbs by comparison, yet I am very pleased with the outcome of this assembly. This Kibler was done entirely on my kitchen table without benefit of a vise, and using only a few hand tools.
I added a toe-plate but otherwise no other additions. Mahogany stain diluted 50/50 with alcohol. Grey metal using Kibler's recommended JAX brass black that was rubbed back with 0000 steel wool. Five coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish, and ramrod stained with ebony dye for contrast. Though I appreciate the skill represented in ornate and fancy rifles, my personal preference is for a plain, workman like tool of a rifle such as would be owned by the likes of a 19th century farmer or frontiersman of modest but adequate means and this SMR fits that bill nicely. If it proves to be a good shooter it will be logging a great deal of time in the forest.

Online bob in the woods

Re: Walnut Kibler .45cal SMR long wait.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 02:41:47 PM »
Nice rifle.  :)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 03:02:02 PM »
Very nice.  I love the lines of Kibler's SMR.  Guess I have to put one on my "to do" list. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline old george

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 03:06:35 PM »
very nicely done. Love the colors.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 08:36:47 PM »
Really nice colour, nice tones, but a little shiny for my taste. Each to his/her own though.
Well done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 10:45:59 PM »
Really nice colour, nice tones, but a little shiny for my taste. Each to his/her own though.
Well done.
Yes. I knew there was something about the rifle that looked strange to me, but you nailed it , Daryl.  It has that "Browning" plastic finish look. Toning down the shine would enhance the overall appearance IMO

Offline taco650

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 09:47:27 PM »
While I enjoy looking at well carved and enscribed rifles, I prefer my own to be plain, workman like.  Nice job.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 11:22:03 PM »
A wonderful kit, indeed. Most everyone can build and be "quite joyful" with the result. ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline BozoMiller

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 09:17:54 AM »
That's one fine gun.