General discussion > Gun Building

short barreled Jaegers

<< < (2/5) > >>

thecapgunkid:
O)K, so, then, leaving out the transitionals, what about the Jaegers?

Ed Wenger:

--- Quote from: thecapgunkid on May 06, 2022, 03:15:14 AM ---O)K, so, then, leaving out the transitionals, what about the Jaegers?

--- End quote ---

Short barreled “Jaegers” were predominantly made in Continental Europe.  There may have been some built here in North America, but I’ve personally never seen any.  I wouldn’t doubt there are some with far better knowledge than me who might have.  Irregardless, they certainly weren’t prevalent. 

The vast majority of the “Jaegers” we see here today (originals), were war trophies, from various places in Germany, that were brought back by returning GI’s after the Second World War.  What a lot of people don’t realize is that these rifles were made all over Continental Europe.  I would be willing to bet that if most people were shown a Russian, Hungarian, Romanian, etc. piece, they would automatically exclaim “Jaeger”!  We’re just so attuned to the German version because that’s typically what was brought here, not by immigrants, but by returning GI’s.  Also, if you visit museums in Germany and other countries on the continent, you’ll see more than a few of these rifles with much longer barrels.  Best,

Ed

Lucky R A:
        Well, Jaegers were a product of European craftsman and were made in many different style or "schools."  Depending on their use, Jaegers might have had anywhere from a very short barrel (Stutz) to a relatively long barrel up into the 40" length.    Early writings often reference short German guns being imported into the colonies.  Remember, it took colonial gunmaking time to get ramped up, so imported guns were sought.  Some of the early gunmaking is covered thoroughly in the Moravian books written by Bob Lienemann.
         The early gunsmiths, such as Albrecht, Dickert and others, were European trained and thus applied this training to produce guns that were in demand in the colonies.  These early guns were usually thick in the butt with fairly flat buttplates, but longer of barrel and smaller of caliber than their European counterparts.  These guns are often referenced as Transitional or Evolutionary  guns to denote that they still retained European influence but were becoming the colonial rifles that were used up through the Revolutionary war. 
        Change has continued through the Golden Age and into the Late Flint period, then into the percussion period; however, these changes do not represent the transitional phase which ended with the fully evolved colonial rifle. 

Ron

Ron Scott:
I'm curious what length constitutes a short Jaeger?

smylee grouch:
Short enuf to carry in a canoe!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version