Author Topic: Mike Brooks Lion and Lamb rifle.  (Read 2879 times)

Offline lexington1

Re: Mike Brooks Lion and Lamb rifle.
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2022, 10:21:28 PM »
A 12th century depiction of a Leopard. Almost as goofy as the stuffed one above, but it does sort of resemble the carving on the Lion and Lamb rifle.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 10:25:00 PM by lexington1 »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2022, 10:39:57 PM »
Google up " 17th century wooden synagogues" I think these were in Poland.  The interior decoration is identical to these Moravian guns and American German folk art in general.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2022, 10:55:35 PM »
Looks alot like the "lamb's head" patchbox finial. I think it's a panther or dog, possibly a leopard or lion....

A couple renderings of the "Lion". Even the tails are the same as on the gun.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2022, 05:07:52 AM »
That certainly does look like it. I'm generally not into reading religious symbolism in the embellishment of longrifles, but the Lion and Lamb gun does make you wonder.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2022, 05:28:05 PM »
That certainly does look like it. I'm generally not into reading religious symbolism in the embellishment of longrifles, but the Lion and Lamb gun does make you wonder.
That small early group supposedly by Albrecht all have these similar animal features. I think they are all by Oerter myself. I wouldn't be surprised if an early illustrated bible was open on the bench for inspiration on these guns.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2022, 06:08:46 PM »
Thanks for the info Mike.  I've been researching CS guns, Moravian and Puritans culture and this is some good information.  That Bird faced Lion animal is on a CS gun also. Check out this old painting of an "Moravian Girl."  It sure looks a whole lot like the disputed "Lehigh Face."  Many of the girls in the "Ride of the Kings Festival" look like the Lehigh Face.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2022, 07:53:49 PM »
Looks alot like the "lamb's head" patchbox finial. I think it's a panther or dog, possibly a leopard or lion....

That one I suspect is a lion being speared in the mouth by a unicorn.
The lion's dark "mane" gives truth to the "lion" supposition, however the head does look rather dog-ish.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline ipman

• Starting Member
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2022, 02:26:30 AM »
Very nice rifle, congrats. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.