General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

PA and NY Flintlock gobblers

(1/5) > >>

Matt / PA:
Having a good season here in PA and NY!
Took advantage of the first day of each state's season to take a couple nice longbeards. Had to break out ALL the wool for New York's  28 degree frosty opener!
The gun is a 38" barreled Fowler in 20ga built for me a few years ago by Ken Moors.
It's been a real turkey swatter with it's Colerain turkey barrel.

smylee grouch:
Good job Matt. Nice looking birds and gun.

StevenV:
Matt great pics, really nice gun ( more gun pics hint hint) and great looking birds, congratulations. What is your range with the fowler?           Steve

thelongrifle:
Congratulations

Matt / PA:

--- Quote from: StevenV on May 06, 2022, 04:58:39 AM ---Matt great pics, really nice gun ( more gun pics hint hint) and great looking birds, congratulations. What is your range with the fowler?           Steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,

Believe it or not, it's comfortable pattern wise to 45yds and maybe a bit more.....further than I can probably keep it pointed straight  ;D
With the .580 choked end it acts very much like a turkey choke in a modern shotgun. And I will probably get flogged for it, but I am shooting TSS #9 here in PA and until they change the regs in NY , TSS #8.
1 5/8 oz of shot pushed by 105grs of Swiss 2F.
I'll throw a couple pattern pics below.....not much escaping if I do my part!
The pattern pics are at 30 and 40yds with a 10" circle drawn around the densest part of the pattern.
Approx 582 TSS #9's in that load.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version